• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with my QDR wall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RSDXzec

Disabled
(QDR = FSB x 4, quad data rate)

ok, i took some statistics of how much voltage i need on my 1.325V VID Q6600 needs at different OC's, i hope someone could tell me if my QDR wall is caused by my CPU or motherboard or RAM.

This is what i think is my problem (in order of chance of being my problem)
1. - CPU - i think is the problem
2. - Mobo
3. - RAM - ive almost taken out my 800mhz RAM as being a problem by reducing the ram speed and ocing unlinked to isolate the CPU

Anyway, here are my OC stats, i hope someone can help

2.4Ghz - stock
Max Temp - 58C
Vcore - 1.29V
FSB - 1.2V
SPP - 1.3V
MCP - 1.5V
HT Link (i think its the same as SPP>MCP, correct me if im wrong) - 1.2V

Oc @ 2.6Ghz
Max Temp 58C
Vcore - 1.325V
FSB - 1.2V
SPP - 1.3V
MCP - 1.5V
HT Link - 1.2V

OC @ 2.8Ghz
Max Temp 61C
Vcore - 1.34V
FSB - 1.2V
SPP - 1.3V
MCP - 1.55V
HT - 1.2V

OC @ 3Ghz
Max Temp - 61C
Vcore - 1.39V
FSB - 1.3V
SPP - 1.3V
MCP - 1.55V
HT - 1.2V

OC @ 3.2Ghz
Max Temp - 63C
Vcore - 1.43V
FSB - 1.3V
SPP - 1.35V
MCP - 1.55V
HT - 1.2V

OC@ 3.4Ghz
Max Temp - 65C
VCore - 1.49V
FSB - 1.4V
SPP - 1.35V
MCP - 1.55V
HT - 1.25V

I cant reach any higher than 3.42Ghz because i keep hitting a QDR wall of 1520
Ive tried putting my Vcore voltage up to 1.6V with the rest on the highest green settings in bios to try to reach 3.6Ghz but i cant, whenever i put my QDR higher than 1520, the PC boots up in safe mode, and tells me that i have to reset the FSB frequency

hope someone can help, thanks

(and this is a copy of my previous post that i had at the end of my own thread but i think its too hidden there, so i posted this thread.
And i know a few of you will think :bang head not again, if you have read some t=of my previous threads but id really like to find out why im getting a QDR wall.:(

Last edited:
To find out whether this is the CPU limit or the FSB limit...you need to lower the multi and see if the FSB wall at 380 remains....it shouldn't that's way too low.

Try setting the multi to x6, and just push up the FSB speed until you hit your wall...more typical is between 450 and 500MHz. Also, try pushing your NB voltage a bit.

Also, you should refer to the system clock as the FSB...not QDR, some folks might not know what you're talking about.

yep, i put the multi at 6x with the MCP at 1.65V and SPP at 1.45V still have the wall i maxed out all the other voltages up to the green maximum, the QDR wall still there

And now im saying QDR because someone on the forums got mad at me for saying i had a 1520 FSB wall and said that was an insane FSB speed.

ouch.. what is your memory running at? is it Linked/Unlinked?

Have it unlinked and at 800mhz, running at stock timings and stock voltage.

Try these settings on your voltages:

FSB 1.3v, 1.4v when past 1600fsb
SPP 1.4v, 1.45 when past 1600fsb
MCP 1.525v
HT link 1.25v

I've found these (thanks to [p]wnzor on the EVGA forums) to be very stable for the speeds you're trying to reach. I sold my Q6600 before I really got a good chance to play with it. But using these as a rule, I was able to bench my QX6850 at 3.95ghz and was able to boot at 4ghz, and with a little work I'm sure I could nail a bench at 4.

So along with the 6x multi, give those a shot and see what you can get out of your chip. Sometimes more volts = bad for stability, especially when applied in the wrong areas.

even unlinked is wont work. I think i found the cause of my problem, i cant get over about 385FSB, my rams 800mhz ram, and when i run my PC OCed, i get code 52 on my Mobo, which means i have a problem with my ram.

Just wondering if anyone could confirm this?

It all fits together, no faster than 385Mhz FSB with 800Mhz DDR2 RAM @1.8V, do i need to get faster ram?

if you're getting a code 52 like that, I would suggest getting some better RAM, I'm using OCZ Reapers DDR2-1066 PC2 8500, can be had for something like $75, and you can probably get some Corsairs if you really wanna stick with them. (I've had bad experiences with the XMS2 memory in the past)

Did you try those voltages I suggested? Those should be pretty solid for you up to your max fsb. If thats 385 then you just got a bad OC'er for your chip.

What BIOS revision are you using?

oo and I think you should maybe try to avoid double posting where an edit would have done the job :D

Back