• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with new gaming PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Update:
Most overclocks pass the Intel Burn Test, but once I watch some 4K videos on YouTube it always freezes. Any help/tips? I am running my latest overclock (posted earlier).

Update:
Most overclocks pass the Intel Burn Test, but once I watch some 4K videos on YouTube it always freezes. Any help/tips? I am running my latest overclock (posted earlier).

Have you run prime 95 blend for an extended period of time? 4.2 might be a stretch too far. Most are only stable at 4.0. 4.2 is "golden OC" for that chip.

Honestly the perf difference between having the 200Mhz extra and not is not worth the headache IMO.

Have you run prime 95 blend for an extended period of time? 4.2 might be a stretch too far. Most are only stable at 4.0. 4.2 is "golden OC" for that chip.

Honestly the perf difference between having the 200Mhz extra and not is not worth the headache IMO.
No, I will run it now. I use Intel Burn Test for all my stability tests.
Thanks for the info. I'll stick with 4.05GHz, it seems stable.

It's just not worth the struggle. I am gonna run the base clock at a multiplier of 30. It's a stable 4.123GHz, so I am happy. It's an overclock nonetheless.

No but seriously run P95 blend for a while. Maybe 3-4 hours. Make sure whatever overclock you decide on is a truly stable overclock.

Update:
I've been having RAM issues lately which have stopped my OCing. Now that I have that taken care of, I've gotten back into fine-tuning, and I've ran into more things.

At ANY overclock, the computer has been randomy freezing, bluescreening or just shutting off. One of my friends said it was voltage. I have my QPI voltage at 2.75 and my CPU voltage is on auto. Any tips? It's really setting me back because I am trying to go for a RAM overclock aswell and it's limiting me in that aspect.

A few of the things causing it to do the said things are:
4k videos on YouTube
Movies
Multitasking many apps (browsing the internet while WinRaR extracts something in the background)
Talking on Skype
ETC..

EDIT: I was just playing minecraft maxed out and it was fine for 20 seconds. After that it jittered and lagged until it was unresponsive. The backlight of the keyboard and the mouse light was still on, so it hadn't crashed.

Last edited:
When you test your OC have you still been using IBT or P95?

Also when you are OCing by the BLCK are you adjusting your ram speeds and NB/HT link freqs to be as close to stock as you can?

Focus on getting a truly stable overclock before you move on to memory. If it is randomly freezing it is not a truly stable OC.

When you test your OC have you still been using IBT or P95?

Also when you are OCing by the BLCK are you adjusting your ram speeds and NB/HT link freqs to be as close to stock as you can?

Focus on getting a truly stable overclock before you move on to memory. If it is randomly freezing it is not a truly stable OC.

I use Intel Burn Test. I've been told it's more intensive than P95. Yes, I am, and that's what I am doing. This processor/mobo or whatever is causing this to be unstable is really annoying. It's stable at 4.05GHz one moment, stable at 4.35GHz the next or it freezes unless I put it on stock settings... It's really confusing.

Intel burn test is OK for doing quick tests but for true stability you want to do an extended p95 test. If it doesn't pass at least 2 hours... It's not stable.

Read the guide again, start from scratch, go up in little increments, p95 stable each time, and figure out what your chip likes.

That's the issue. NOTHING seems to be stable above 3.8GHz. It's not even stable at 3.5GHz sometimes. I've read plenty of guides and followed each of them. No overclock has proven stable consistently. It even crashes w/ Turbo sometimes. I swear my CPU is faulty.

You may have lost the CPU lottery.

Have you set LLC and phase control to max on your board to make sure it's getting moar powaa?

Yeah I'm sure this thing is a dud. I'm going to use it as a $1,000 paperweight once I buy a new CPU.

Indeed I have, I've set all voltages accordingly and turned off all power saving settings. I can run 200x12 (2400MHz) no issue. Second I increase the multiplier to or over 20 it winds up not booting.

My recent every-other-boot-stable 170x25 now won't even boot. 138x25 (3.4GHz) won't boot either. It's so touchy I want to cry.

Temps aren't an issue. I idle at around 34C

172x25 booted... haven't ran P95 or OCCT yet.
wahs35.png

Ran the test for a while, while I was multitasking (On Skype, browsing the net, running a virus scan), seems to be stable. I bet after my next reboot it wont be :/

Edit: Blue screened after around 2 hours of work while watching a movie. I don't feel bad about this CPU, it seems it is a troublemaker.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...7-975-EE-Take-2-Can-t-keep-stable-above-stock

Gonna key in some stuff from this thread after I figure out why my AntiViruses are disabled and why I can't make any outbound connections (MalwareBytes wont update and MineCraft wont connect to the servers. Steam also will not connect.). I guess I have a virus :eek:

Attachments

• OC.png
    OC.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Back