• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with p-4 cpu cooling kit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ledzep

hi all.
after im getting the VGA silencer to oc my 9800pro
im thinking of doing some basic overclocking to my p-4 2.4C.
what im planing is to overclock my p-4 2.4C cpu by finding the max speed using the PRIME95 proggy without volt modding then i will run sys at about 10% lower just for safty , once i will feel sys is stable i may consider some voltmodding,
i won't start playing with it before i get some proper heat sink + fan (no water cooling pls) , was thinking of the thermallight sp-4
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProdu...-109-012&depa=0

also what fan should i use with the heatsink 92mm , 80mm? too much noise is a problem for me.

what do you think? there are so many cpu cooloers out there im a little lost.

TIA ,ledzep.

The SP-94 is a great heatsink if you plan on pushing your O/C to the limit. If a 92mm and 80mm are rated at the same CFM (air flow), the 92mm will be quieter because it will operate at a lower RPM. If you want a good cooler that is quieter and cheaper, look at the Zalman 7000A which is available in copper or aluminum.

I have an SP-94 with a 92mm Panaflo H1A, and that's a reasonably quiet setup. I also have an SLK-948U with a 92mm Delta HHE, also a good setup. The SLK-948U is just about as efficient as the SP-94 (less than 47°C @ full load on my Prescott), has a better mounting system and is cheaper (P.S. Sidewinder is selling them for less than most). So an SLK-948U with a 92mm (forget 80mm) Panaflo H1A would be a solid recommendation that won't be very expensive.

thanks guys.
so if 80mm fan is out of the question , im very limited from what 92mm fans i can choose from as they are very rare here (israel), basicly i can choose from this two:
Enermax 92mm 2 Ball Bearing Fan Kit
DELTA 92x92x38mm 110.18 CFM @ 4800 RPM 55.0 dBA -->very loud no?

if this 2 are crap what brands do you recommend?

thanks , ledzep.

The 90mm Enermax adjustable fan is really good. It allows you to control the RPM. Crank it up to max for heavy duty overclocking, or slow it down if you want quiet and don't need as much cooling. Even at high speed it's not as noisy as some fans at the same RPM. I'm listing a newegg.com link. I know you can't order from them since you are overseas, but it will show you which model I'm talking about so you can look for it locally.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-999-011&depa=1

thanks guys you really helped me narrow it down.

this are my 3 prefered options (i can't get them here but im sure ill find a website that delivers internationaly or have some friend bring it to me from the usa)

1.Antec - smartcool 92mm thermaly controled with temp sensor.
at 30c ->33cfm @ 1680rpm with 26.7dba
at 50c ->40cfm @ 2070rpm with 31dba

2.EverCool - AL9025B case fan 92mm cfm's 30.66/38.35/48.5 @ rpm's 1800/2200/2600 with noise of dba 24/26/28 respectivly (so i guess its manualy controled rpm?).

3.Enermax UC-9FAB 92mm manual speed control cfm(max) 33.25 @ 2300rpm with 29.8dba.

all are around the same price range for me and all should fit fine on the Thermalright slk-947U or slk-978U.

what do you think is the best?

TIA ledzep.

Last edited:
hi again
after looking a little more in thermalright web site i saw that all the hsf they have for intel are for p-4 478 socket 3.06ghz and above cpus , could it be that they have no hsf that fits the 2.4c? could anyone confirm this?

TIA , ledzep

a thermalright sp-94 will work with your 2.4c chip. You have a p4 478 socket based motherboard with the 4 screws that hold on the stock heatsink retention bracket. All you have to do is remove the 4 screws that hold that retention bracket and slap some artic silver 5 on your cpu. Use just a small bb size and place heatsink over cpu and tighten the screws that come with heatsink in criss cross patern. Be sure to mount the heatsink it the appropriate position. Here is a link to verify the best position to mount the heatsink properly.
http://www.legionhardware.com/html/doc.php?id=263&p=1

Last edited:
Back