• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Radiator placement in Cougar Panzer.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShukkestuShi

Hi,

I am thinking about how should I place radiators in above mentioned case. Link
For now I will be cooling only my i7-4790K, I am going to update to i7 9th gen and new nvidia xx80 series (if prices will be acceptable), but I want to buy correct parts now.

I have two options in mind:

1) 360mm rad on top (exhaust), 360mm rad on front (intake), 120mm fan on back (exhaust), 120mm fan at bottom (intake) - I don't like idea of pushing hot air back in to the case here, but a lot of cooling surface.

2) 360mm rad on top (exhaust), 120mm rad on back (exhaust), 3x120mm fan on front and 120mm fan at bottom - Seems like better idea, in taking cool air and exhausting heat from radiators with case generated heat, but case modification will be needed, so I can mount radiator outside the case, which additionally give me option to use thicker 120mm rad on back and push-pull config.

Thick radiator on the top and push-pull config is most likely impossible, maybe standard 30mm thick, but I am not sure if it's event worth it, just wanted to mention it.

What do you guys think? I think both configurations are ok, I am leaning more to the 2nd one, but maybe there is something even better which I didn't even considered? It's my first water cooling loop.

Either way, really. You'll have more cooling area with option 1 so that will support more wattage by far. But option two will handle a 250W card and 95W CPU both overclocked so... tough call. I can't imagine you are in search of every degree C, s, I would say you are fine with 2.

I personally like to go overkill to have more then what is needed and being able to run things silent if I'd like. With that said, I'd go with option 1. The only thing I would do is make sure everything fits and you have room for your reservoir/pump location.

Thanks for advice I kinda want to go with 2, but at the same time I am no sure, if I will be able to correctly modify case to be able to mount radiator on back, outside of the case. Will give it some more thoughts.
One more thing, I just thought about 3rd option, but I am not really sure how it will perform:

3) top: 360mm rad (exhaust), front: 360mm rad (exhaust), 120mm (intake) fan on back and 120 (intake) fan at bottom - I am not sure but I will probably intake some hot air exhausted from PSU + hot air from top and front might circulate back?

Will that even work?

ShukkestuShi, I am currently cooling an overclocked i7-4790k (4.7Ghz) and 2x HD7970's in a single loop. I'm using a 360mm rad up top(exhaust) and a 240mm rad(intake) in the bottom. I also have a front 200mm intake fan and a rear 140mm exhuast fan. These components will produce more heat then your existing rig and likely your future build and the highest temps I see are about 75°C during hours of Handbrake crunching.

I have always been taught that rad area is king if you are looking to minimize temps. In truth the "hot" air that would be blowing into the case in scenario 1 isn't really hot. It's just slightly higher than ambient and will not effect the overall temp.

Impressive looking case!

I suggest an option to 1): Let both the top and front 360s exhaust out, and get two higher 120mm CFM rear fan and use it as intake supplying fresh air into the case also at the same time supplying air over the VR area of the motherboard, and at the bottom of the case as intake as well. Those 2 fans will need to be solid air pushers as they're supplying air to 6 rad exhaust fans. IMO many fail to supply air over the motherboard VRs which is very important if the stock air cooler is removed from the socket, and the VRs are not specifically independently air or water cooled.

Last edited:
Thanks for advice I kinda want to go with 2, but at the same time I am no sure, if I will be able to correctly modify case to be able to mount radiator on back, outside of the case. Will give it some more thoughts.
One more thing, I just thought about 3rd option, but I am not really sure how it will perform:

3) top: 360mm rad (exhaust), front: 360mm rad (exhaust), 120mm (intake) fan on back and 120 (intake) fan at bottom - I am not sure but I will probably intake some hot air exhausted from PSU + hot air from top and front might circulate back?

Will that even work?

I'd go with a simpler solution where you don't have to mod a case. You could go 360mm+240mm and still be ok.

Remove the top filter if there is one and have the top rad as exhaust.

Make sure with the GPU(s) installed, you have enough room in the front with rad+ fans. But also again, make sure you will have enough room for a res/pump combo.

Thank you all for advices. I will go with cooling surface, so most likely 2x360mm after I make sure that they 100% fit in the case. Probably top and front exhaust, but I will have correct parts anyway, so I can always change to front in take and top exhaust.

Most mid case towers don't fit x2 360mm so careful before ordering.

thats a saaaweet case ;) !
from what i remember you can only fit a 30mm thick rad up top but you can fit a much thicker rad(50-60mm thick) with fans in front with plenty of room for a long gpu and res. there are some very solid 30mm rads tho. alphacools st30 series is really solid. hardware labs makes a bunch of different 30mm rads that are solid. ek even has a couple to choose from that are really well priced. unfortunately i dont remember how thick you can go in front with 25mm fans. once you get the case i would measure the amount of room there is from front to back just to be sure.

Back