• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with some 5750 problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Omega Destroyer

Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2002
Location
Alberta
I will try and be brief.
I just bought a Asus radeon HD 5750 and put it into my Asus a8n SLI deluxe motherboard.

The board posts and I'm able to see the bios screen. It even gets to the Windows logo screen (XP) but as soon as it tries to enter the desktop it only displays black.

This isn't unique to windows either. A similar thing happens in Ubuntu off a live CD. I see the text and options to boot off the live CD or install, but when I boot it just shows me a black screen.

I know the operating system is loaded properly because when I press the power button it does a graceful shutdown.

I've tried a lot of things, but I wanted to know if anyone else has had similar issues.

I have a feeling it's because I'm sticking a PCI-E 2.0 card into a PCI-E 1.0a board but the fact that it works up to the Windows logo screen makes me a bit suspicious.

Any suggestions as to what I can try?

Anyone else having similar issues?
 
OP
Omega Destroyer

Omega Destroyer

Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2002
Location
Alberta
Thanks for everyone who read this post and gave it some thought.

I found the solution to this problem so I'm going to post it for anyone else who might have this problem.

As it turns out, there is a compatibility issue between PCI-E 2.0 cards and 1.0a motherboards but I was able to fix it (at least in my case).

In my Asus a8N SLI Deluxe, I went into the bios and changed the following setting.

Advanced > PEG link mode > [auto or disabled]

Using either auto or disabled, I was able to boot into windows. I originally had the PEG link mode set to faster because I found that gave me a performance boost, but that doesn't seem to work in this case. I didn't try the "normal or fast" options since both auto and disabled work. I'm not sure what auto defaults to, but I don't really care at this point.

Now to figure out why the 9.11 catalyst drivers keep giving me BSOD :(
 
Last edited: