• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with some heat issues for a new computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheAfroWai

Registered
I recently made a new computer with the following parts:

Processor: Core i7 930
Graphics Card: HIS Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro)
Power Supply: CORSAIR 750TX 750W
Mother Board:GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
Memory: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Cooler: Corsair H50
Case: LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62

Based on what everyone else is saying i seem to have some heat problems. I think it may be due to my case fans spinning too slow, my computer is extremely quiet but I cant find where I can change my fan speeds.

Also, my north and south bridge are very hot to the touch. Not finger burning hot but like hot tea hot.

I stressed my cpu with prime 95 and it steadied out to about 70 deg C. I havent stressed my GPU yet because i dont know what program to use but Playing Metro 2033 with max settings it goes up to 65 deg C

another point of note is the TMPIN2 sensor from Hardware Monitor, its at 60 degrees idle.

What can i do to bring these temperatures down? I want to overclock but if the temperatures are already this high i dont think i would get very far without some cooling changes.

4jmjo0.jpg

Last edited:
You have left out one very important piece of info: What CPU are you running? Anyway, try taking the case side off and blowing air directly onto the mobo with a box fan. See if it makes any difference. That will answer the question about air flow inside the case being an issue. I would also try several different hardware monitoring utilities and compare what they report, especially the OEM one that cane with the mobo. Sometimes, mobo temp sensors are bad or calibrated poorly and give inaccurate info.

How is the fan doing blowing through the radiator, can you feel the heat. Is the water block secure?:soda:

Oh oops sorry i added my processor in the main post.

I currently have my Corsair H50 radiator configured in a push pull system. the air coming out is slightly warm.

opening the side of the case and blowing it with a box fan drastically reduced (-10 deg C) the temperatures of TMPIN0 and TMPIN2 which i assume is the northbridge and something else.

running prime 95 @ 100% load my processor maintains an average of 70 deg C according to CPUID Hardware Monitor, and Real Temp.

my CPU fan which is probably FANIN0 increases in speed appropriately going up to 1700 rpm but all my case fans maintain at around 1000 rpm. My case is EXTREMELY quiet and i wouldnt mind it being a little noisier

once i stop prime95 the core temperatures instantly drop 20 degrees then gradually drops back down to about 40 deg C steady state.

The case fans are connected to what? The mobo or the PSU? If to the Mobo have you looked into Bios fan control?

If to the PSU direct then you'll need new fans for the case.

As for fans i have 2 160mm exhaust fans, 1 160mm intake fan, and 1x2 120mm intake fan. the 1x2 means that i have 2 fans for the push/pull system. All of the fans are plugged into my mobo. CPU_FAN, SYSFAN1,2,3, PWR_FAN.

I havent started overclocking yet so yeah its stock speed. I dont know what HT is but i havent messed around with anything concerning that so if its on by default then yeah its on.

I have my water pump plugged into the NB_FAN port on my mobo. I want that to be running at 100% capacity. Am i right to assume that since the NB_FAN port doesnt have a speed sensor wire it always runs at max voltage?

Is there any way for me to adjust the fan speeds for fans plugged into the SYSFAN slots? i know that my brothers 5 year old ASUS mobo has an option in the bios for fan speed profiles but i cant find something similar in my gigabyte bios.

Finally, what are safe temperature values for my Northbridge, CPU, and GPU? I want to overclock but at the same time i dont want to bring my computer to a temperature above safe.

Why don't you get the Mobo manual out and read, and play with your mobo bios fan settings.

Read and learn. If you don't have the manual I'm sure the mobo maker has a PDF availible for reading or download.

Start with that push to learn more and let us know what your result is. Every modern mobo has fan control in the bios.

@Conumdrum:

I dont know if im stupid or what but i looked through the manual and bios and couldnt find a way to change fan speeds other than CPU_FAN, which was easily controlled with some gigabyte software.

What i did find out though was that if i turn off the smart fan control feature in the bios, it makes all the fans run at full power for sure (says the manual). so i did that and my system fans stayed at 1000 rpm so i guess that's the max speed of those fans. I still cant adjust fan speed but at max speed they're quiet so i don't really mind it.

Im happy to say that I solved my CPU heat problem though. I took off my cooler and cleaned everything with lintless paper and 91% isopropyl alcohol. Then i followed the instructions from the arctic silver site for Core i7s. The "Vertical Line" method was counter intuitive for me but i tried it and it worked wonders, dropped my load temps down by 10 degrees C. Also i read somewhere not to over tighten the heat sink screws but this time around i neglected this advice and cranked down on those screws (within reason). I also made sure that all 4 screws were equally tight for even load distribution.

Vertical Line Method:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_app_method_vertical_line_v1.1.pdf

My only problem now is the heat from my northbridge which i plan to solve eventually with an additional fan blowing right on my mobo. What is acceptable NB temp? mine under load reaches around 70 deg C.

Back