• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with temp sensor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bash

Registered
hi

i just got a cooling drive bay that monitors the cpu and drive temps it comes with sensors to stick in the apropiate places
so where does the cpu one go

i put it under the heatsink but the reading is like 31c and sisoft
reads 44c so does winbond
its a p4 3gig on a abit 1s7 e board

can someone help thx

Anthony

because then you run the risk of separating the core from the heatsink as the sensor may get in the way. If that happens then the CPU will overheat.

No you want it touching the die, you just don't want it on TOP of the die (between it and HS). I have mine mounted right next to the die so it's touching the side. I taped it down to make sure it wouldn't move on top of the die while putting on my WB. No problems so far.

He has a P4, he can't reach the die, The next best thing that I can think of is to thermal epoxy it to the side of the heatspreader, that's what I have done, I doubt it's very accurate, but it's probably as good as you are going to get without popping off the heatspreader.

Cyberwiz01 said:
He has a P4, he can't reach the die, The next best thing that I can think of is to thermal epoxy it to the side of the heatspreader, that's what I have done, I doubt it's very accurate, but it's probably as good as you are going to get without popping off the heatspreader.

Oops missed that he has a P4. :eek:

Bash,When I installed my HS,I place my remote thermal sensing bulb on the side of the chip facing the ram sockets.I ran the wire to the bulb upwards to connect later.I attached the bulb with some thermal tape.After monting the bulb carefully as to not interfer with the HS installation.You may need to slightly trim the plastic around the sensing bulb to get it to fit properly.Some what like Cyberwiz did! THE FANMAN:cool:

Last edited:
i have my temp probe under my CPU
i cut the one of my guage and got a probe off an old Ttake smart fan and did
some soldering and bingo, works like a champ

Cyberwiz01 said:
The next best thing that I can think of is to thermal epoxy it to the side of the heatspreader

No, the best thing to use would be thermal frag tape as this would be much easier to remove than epoxy at a later date. Epoxy is very strong stuff and it will be a PITA to take off if it is needed later on.

Craig

Actually, attached to such a small area, i had no problem taking it off with a few precice scrapes with an exacto knife. Of course caution is the number one thing when doing that, but I didnt have too hard of a time getting it off. And besides, thermal epoxy is probably a better conductor of heat than the thermal tape and will thus lead to more accurate readings.

Back