• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with the p45!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Personally, I do the old skool way... I know I don't have to but that's ok..
Very thin line of grease on the side and spread it out thin with a razor blade.
But the line down the middle seems to be good for some just as long as it is not way too much.

The small amount in the middle would work good for my i7 cuz it's a little convex.(Before I lapped the 3570)

hey thanks for all the help OnDborder! i'm stable at 3.8ghz...and i'm pretty happy :)

ok....i got it to 3.9ghz and it failed after 5 hours of OCCT!
i upped the voltages to 1.44...and for some reason OCCT stops after a while saying "CPU TOO HOT" (but it went till 80C readily earlier).

will upping other voltages help?

thanks

What are your dram,MCH Core and CPU PLL voltage settings?
I wouldn't really be pressing the vcore anymore until you can get the temp down.

What are your dram,MCH Core and CPU PLL voltage settings?
I wouldn't really be pressing the vcore anymore until you can get the temp down.

hi Ondborder,
i've got it at 3.9ghz...
here my settings now.....any volts required to be tweaked?

Load-Line Calibration.........................[Enabled]
CPU Vcore [1.28750]...............[1.43725]
CPU Termination [1.200].................[1.220]
CPU PLL [1.550]....................[1.550]
CPU Reference [0.805].................[auto]

MCH Core [1.100].................[1.160]
MCH Reference [0.760].................[auto]
ICH I/O [1.550].................[1.570]
ICH Core [1.100].................[auto]
DRAM Voltage [1.500].................[1.540]
DRAM Termination [0.750].................[Auto]

If you have "active" cooling(a fan or 2 blowing directly on the sticks of ram) you might kick up the ram volts.
CPU PLL can get a boost. If I remember, I ran my up3 up to 1.8. But the temps were cooler.
Try lowering the vcore and giving the pll a little boost.
Did you replace the paste under the north and south bridge heatsinks? If not, I would recommend you doing so. Replace it with the paste that came with the cpu heatsink if you don't have Artic Silver. Not too much though. No gooping.

If you have "active" cooling(a fan or 2 blowing directly on the sticks of ram) you might kick up the ram volts.
CPU PLL can get a boost. If I remember, I ran my up3 up to 1.8. But the temps were cooler.
Try lowering the vcore and giving the pll a little boost.
Did you replace the paste under the north and south bridge heatsinks? If not, I would recommend you doing so. Replace it with the paste that came with the cpu heatsink if you don't have Artic Silver. Not too much though. No gooping.

yes..i've got active cooling.
but wont this chip do 3.9ghz without any volts to be raised? 100 mhz jump from 3.8ghz isn't much right?

and i'm sorry but i did'nt get that up3 part!

PLL is at 1.55....next increment allowed is only 1.62...is'nt that high?
i'm going to replace my heatsink paste with MX-2...what do you think?

GA-EP45-UD3P. I mean't ud3p.
Lower the vcore a bit and raise pll to 1.62
Give that a go.
100mhz is quite a bit.
But sometimes it's a matter of the right combinations. Of hardware or settings.
That's the "fun" of it. Now you get to play with the numerous combinations of bios settings.
Not only your cpu heatsink paste, but the northbridge and southbridge heatsink stuff. I always do that first off when I get a new motherboard.

hey...i tried your settings and i'm good at 3.9! :D

i've got one issue though....when i put my ram on the third slot it doesnt post!(though it used to earlier)
my other slots are fine though....any clue?

another one is that when i drag windows around the screen rapidly...i can see that they get stuck for a abt 50ms or so....only happens with CPU-z,Coretemp etc....is this a sign of unstablity? though it stresses for 8 hours without any prob or BSOD's.

Open up the task manager.
See what process' are running.

Is your hdd activity led on your case on?
Does the stuttering happen at a lower mhz or stock?
Not sure on the third dram slot issue.
What voltage on the ram?
And you are using one stick?

hey,
i dropped the multi and increased the FSB...
so now the bus is at 434 and a multi of 9.
my fsb is at 1736 mhz...what all voltages should i tweak for such an FSB(the native of the board is 1600).
i only increased the ram and MCH voltages. is that enough....loses stability after 3 hours OCCT.!

ps-the window getting stuck was some random program hogging resources...got that done too...

How does it do with prime?
Did you bump up the pll?
And replace the gum under the northbridge/southbridge heatsinks?
I know it's a pain having to take the board out but sometimes there isn't good contact between the hs and chip. It's a really good idea to keep the northbridge as cool as possible when running high fsb's.. I usually have a chipset cooler/fan on mine when I do benching.

How does it do with prime?
Did you bump up the pll?
And replace the gum under the northbridge/southbridge heatsinks?
I know it's a pain having to take the board out but sometimes there isn't good contact between the hs and chip. It's a really good idea to keep the northbridge as cool as possible when running high fsb's.. I usually have a chipset cooler/fan on mine when I do benching.

the thing is i'm okay at 1540 FSB...(10X390)
once i increase above 1600 -1700 (using a 9X multiplier) it craps out!

sorry abt the earlier post ..the next PLL option is only at 1.65...dont you thing thats a bit dangerous? heard that somewhere

what do u think would be a sweet overclock?
what voltage should i run on the MCH above 1600FSB?

For daily use? 3.6
If I remember right, the MCH is the northbridge, which can get really hot. Could be what's holding you back.
PLL if you go to the extreme without proper cooling. Like I stated before, I ran mine up to 1.80 on the ud3p and 1.85 on my RE's when benching in cooler weather. It's more of a temperature(heat) issue than voltage. You have to keep the chips and MOSFETs as cool as you can.
So are you still running the 1 stick of ram or 2?

For daily use? 3.6
If I remember right, the MCH is the northbridge, which can get really hot. Could be what's holding you back.
PLL if you go to the extreme without proper cooling. Like I stated before, I ran mine up to 1.80 on the ud3p and 1.85 on my RE's when benching in cooler weather. It's more of a temperature(heat) issue than voltage. You have to keep the chips and MOSFETs as cool as you can.
So are you still running the 1 stick of ram or 2?

hey,
i'm still running 1 stick of ram...
my vcore is on 1.44 with LCC enabled ...so i think my CPU is'nt holding me back at the moment.
its the definitely the motherboard as of now... once i cross 1650 fsb it cant hold on.... my comp is presently in an Air Conditioned room at 19C...so i'm sure its cool (got a fan blowing on it too)
How much MCH should i increase for above 1600FSB? do i have to increase the ICH (southbridge ) voltage too? should i increase the FSBtermination Voltage too?
because above 1650 it kinda gets corrupted on windows.

thanks.

Try these:
Vcore 1.4
Is it "cpu termination" or FSB? Either or try 1.4
cpu pll 1.6
MCH core 1.6
Did you get the "Easy Tune 6" utility with the cd? Is it installed? Check the northbridge temp with it.
What is your "System Memory Multipler" set at?

Try these:
Vcore 1.4
Is it "cpu termination" or FSB? Either or try 1.4
cpu pll 1.6
MCH core 1.6
Did you get the "Easy Tune 6" utility with the cd? Is it installed? Check the northbridge temp with it.
What is your "System Memory Multipler" set at?

hey i got it on 3.9ghz as of now.... i think my chip is hitting its wall...
thanks for the help...:salute:
will get back if anything more is required :)

Back