• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with vid pin mode!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@crilicM@n

I´m currently trying to overclock my fathers computer. He´s got a pIV Northwood 2,66ghz 533fsb, 512k cache. I noticed 2 crashes in 150 fsb, so i´m planning to use a Zallman cnps7000b-Cu cooler and plan to vid pin mode him to arround 1,7v to see if it improoves stability...

Searching the forum i could find the intel condensed sticky post here : http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=187691&highlight=Condensed+Intel
There are 2 links there for pages with images of the layout of the processor and socket to make the vid pin trick...
Only this works: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=278&redirect=yes

As i´d like to make the "u" way of connect the holes.. I´d like to see an socket image.... If someone still have a photo about it, seing above, from the socket... I´d apreciate if you could sed it to me... I need vid3 and vid4...

Any aditional link about vidpin modding the p4 478 will be apreciated!

Thanks

Take a good pic of the socket or find a good socket 478 pic online and post it here. I can identify which holes you need to connect in photoshop and repost it for you.

socket-478.jpg

what is the default VID of the cpu? i searched way into pinmodding a p4 for less voltage about a week ago... give me the default vid or sspec number on the cpu. and ill tell you what pins you need to connect... 1.7v is quite high for a northwood, your right on the edge of the SNDS voltage.

EDIT:

connecting the 2 pins above (vid 3 to vid 4) will result in

Stock vid --------- New Vid
1.475 ------------- 1.675
1.500 ------------- 1.700
1.525 ------------- 1.725

so essientally a .2 v increase across the board... which is quite a bit! espically for a northwood.

again it would greatly help to kno the default vid, and sspec#

i also take it that your doing the pinmod cus you have no voltage options in the bios? yet you have fsb options... weird!

Last edited:
thanks

Thanks BatBoy, this is much better to use when you plan modding the socket instead the cpu...
Will post results of the oc when done

nd4spdbh2 said:
what is the default VID of the cpu? i searched way into pinmodding a p4 for less voltage about a week ago... give me the default vid or sspec number on the cpu. and ill tell you what pins you need to connect... 1.7v is quite high for a northwood, your right on the edge of the SNDS voltage.

I don't have them right now... But it's default voltage is 1,5v. I was willing to use the imediate upper voltage possible... I'd prefer 1,6v instead of 1,7v, but i think i can only jump to 1,7v... ?!!!! I've readed about SNDS being about, above 1,7v.... Is it possible to use 1,6v? 1,65v?

It get complicated to use something in between 1.5 and 1.7v, but it can be done. You generally have to isolate at least one pin and connect another one or two. A lot of motherboards undervolt a little. See what yours does, if it undervolts enough, maybe doing the easy 1.7v will be ok.

@crilicM@n said:
I don't have them right now... But it's default voltage is 1,5v. I was willing to use the imediate upper voltage possible... I'd prefer 1,6v instead of 1,7v, but i think i can only jump to 1,7v... ?!!!! I've readed about SNDS being about, above 1,7v.... Is it possible to use 1,6v? 1,65v?

let me take a quick look at the white papers and see if it can be done easily... are you positive its 1.500v default?

if so... a default vid of 1.500 would result in the 5 vid pins reading 0 1 1 1 0

to get 1.6v you need 0 1 0 1 0

let me check pins around the center vid pin 2 and see if there is a vss pin you can connect it to to make the pin a 0

EDIT unfortunatly the pins to the left and right of vid pin 2 are both reserved pins... lets check on other voltages

EDIT looks like you can EASILY get 1.65 and or 1.55v with a defualt VID of 1.500 or 1.525v (both default vids will get the same modded voltages)
let me edit some pics

OK heres the mods...
Background, the vid pins as you have probably noticed from the picture travel downwards (in the socket orentation of the pic) there are 5 pins total starting from the top. The pin on the very edge is Vid4, and going down twords the bottom of the picture you procede through Vid3, 2, 1 and 0. The default Vid of 1.500v is 01110 (the first number is vid0, last is vid4) and is 10110 for a default of 1.525. you can ONLY lower a 1 from a 0, you can not simply connect a 1 to a 0 and raise the 0. to make a 0 become a 1 read by the mobo you need to isolate it or break it off...

Now for some numbers
1.500 = 01110
1.525 = 10110

1.550 = 00110
1.650 = 00010

now either way you can simply connect vid 0 to vid 1 for 1.55 or vid 0 to vid 1 to vid 2 for 1.65.

For 1.55v connect 2 pins (this makes either 1.500 or 1.525v vid pins read as 00110)
155v.JPG

For 1.65v connect all 3 pins together (this makes either 1.500 or 1.525 default vid pins read 00010)
165v.JPG

Hopfully this makes sence...
Heres some intel docs... i kno its not specifically for ur cpu, but the vid table is the same.
http://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/24988703.pdf

btw i take no responsibility for skrewing ur cpu up!... although it looks like you got it down and if you dont mess up is will work just fine.

Last edited:
nd4spdbh2 said:
let me take a quick look at the white papers and see if it can be done easily... are you positive its 1.500v default?

if so... a default vid of 1.500 would result in the 5 vid pins reading 0 1 1 1 0

to get 1.6v you need 0 1 0 1 0

let me check pins around the center vid pin 2 and see if there is a vss pin you can connect it to to make the pin a 0

EDIT unfortunatly the pins to the left and right of vid pin 2 are both reserved pins... lets check on other voltages

EDIT looks like you can EASILY get 1.65 and or 1.55v with a defualt VID of 1.500 or 1.525v (both default vids will get the same modded voltages)
let me edit some pics

OK heres the mods...
Background, the vid pins as you have probably noticed from the picture travel downwards (in the socket orentation of the pic) there are 5 pins total starting from the top. The pin on the very edge is Vid4, and going down twords the bottom of the picture you procede through Vid3, 2, 1 and 0. The default Vid of 1.500v is 01110 (the first number is vid0, last is vid4) and is 10110 for a default of 1.525. you can ONLY lower a 1 from a 0, you can not simply connect a 1 to a 0 and raise the 0. to make a 0 become a 1 read by the mobo you need to isolate it or break it off...

Now for some numbers
1.500 = 01110
1.525 = 10110

1.550 = 00110
1.650 = 00010

now either way you can simply connect vid 0 to vid 1 for 1.55 or vid 0 to vid 1 to vid 2 for 1.65.

For 1.55v connect 2 pins (this makes either 1.500 or 1.525v vid pins read as 00110)
155v.JPG

For 1.65v connect all 3 pins together (this makes either 1.500 or 1.525 default vid pins read 00010)
165v.JPG

Hopfully this makes sence...
Heres some intel docs... i kno its not specifically for ur cpu, but the vid table is the same.
http://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/24988703.pdf

btw i take no responsibility for skrewing ur cpu up!... although it looks like you got it down and if you dont mess up is will work just fine.

Ok, Thanks a lot. I´ll read the intel datasheet too. I´ll try 1,55 first of all, as i only whant the lowet voltage possible to make it stable in the low 3+ Ghz area.... I ´ll need 150fsb and it´s almos stable there... So 1,55-1,65 may be fine. Thanks a lot. Now hands to work!!!

specs

nd4spdbh2 said:

EDIT:

connecting the 2 pins above (vid 3 to vid 4) will result in

Stock vid --------- New Vid
1.475 ------------- 1.675
1.500 ------------- 1.700
1.525 ------------- 1.725

so essientally a .2 v increase across the board... which is quite a bit! espically for a northwood.

again it would greatly help to kno the default vid, and sspec#

i also take it that your doing the pinmod cus you have no voltage options in the bios? yet you have fsb options... weird!

Here are the specs:

SL6QA Malay
Q339A098
T339A484

i would boot the machine up @ stock everything and download cpu rightmark (RMclock)

RightMark CPU Clock Utility (RMClock)

http://cpu.rightmark.org/download.shtml

and open up the RMclocklauncher

click on cpu info then look at multiplier and VID then under the current colum... what is the VID running at stock?

I couldn´t make work RM Clock...???!!! But io installed CPUZ and it show a vcore alternationg betweem 1,46 and 1,50 (Could this be a bad power suply?) the batch of the cpu is:

SL6qA Malay
q339A098

Don´t know if it can be checked trough the fpo batch... But in the bios it shows~1,5v. Maybe this is the kind of mobo that gives a litle bit undervolt...

Anyway i tryed the 1,55 mod and the machine wouldn´t boot :eek: So I removed the pin and it booted normally.... So i tested it with a new cooler and i was stable with 150 FSB where i wasn´t with the stock cooler... Tested 160 fsb and failed, shouted to 156 and it´s been Ok a litle bit above 3,0ghz.... Maybe it is a FSB matter since the mobo doesn´t have pci divisor options... So I think i´ll let it this way and wait for the summer (here is in december) and see if it needs additional voltage...

Maybe my pin mod have prevented an effective contact of the pins... But at the first attempt tryng to connect vid3 and 4 did not work. At least nothing bad happened... But as I sayd, the fsb is already at what i aimed and so i´ll let it this way with the new cooler....

Thanks, any problem i´ll PM

Cheers

Back