• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with video card purchase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ronin1967

I was thinking about getting another video card, I have one of the original VisionTek GeForce 3's, it runs great, and I never have a problem(I remember when I got it, it came in this big box with lots of fancy graphics, inside was the card and a peice of paper and a driver CD, they were eventually going to package more stuff inside but it was so new they had nothing else to add). I was going to add the new card to my rig in the sig and use the GeForce in another machine, I want to spend about $150, any suggestions?

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
card

MSI Geforce 4 Ti 4200. Comes with a nice bundle of software/games.

OP
ronin1967

ronin1967

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but eveyone who has kindly replied suggested getting a GeForce Ti4200, however I have noticed all of you use Raedon 8500LE, why not suggest the Raedon?

Pinky

I'll respond! :)

I have a Ti4600 and would still recommend the 4200 based on the prior reasons given... and it's sheer "coolness factor". :p

OP
ronin1967

ronin1967

Well I can definitly afford the Ti4200, my next question would be, manufactured by whom, I don't need any TV outs or anything, just going to run a flat screen 19' monitor, and also I assume get 128MB not 64MB...

Pinky

Abit, MSI, PNY all make good cards... there are many to list, most 4200 cards are good for the price... the visionteks are good too, but the company is in the process of folding, so unless you get it for a really good deal (like I did for mine) then it aint worth the risk buying one with no real warranty coverage...

Cisco Kid

well if you want to spend less the 8500LE is a very good deal you can find for $99, it is about 10-15% slower than a Ti4200 but it is enough to play all games now and prolly doom 3 as well contrary to what alot think.

Bottom line is a co is not gonna produce a game that only the best cards out can play properly when like 3% of users have those cards.

the Ti4200 is a faster card but I think the dvd support and 3D image quality which has been confirmed by some Ti users is better on the 8500. Your choice, and I use a 9500LE but agree the Ti4200 is a good deal, forget the 4400 they are gonna phase it out, it had poor sales and can be bested by good Ti4200's for less.

Question to you is do you wanna save close to 30-50 and put it towards something else you gotta decide that

cisco kid

OP
ronin1967

ronin1967

Like I mentioned I have one of the 1st, if not the 1st GeForce 3's(no extra numbers, just GeForce 3), and it runs great, OC's great, plays every game I ever wanted to play, I thought maybe I would mainstream a little, try something new...just about everything else in my rig is modern(processor, memory, motheboard), so why not a new videocard...