• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with watercooling fx-8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Waza

I have a slight problem with my newly built FX-8350 setup.

I just upgraded to amd setup from my trusty Q6600.
My water cooling just does not want to keep up with the 8350.
I did some testing and pretty much any overclock resulted my chip to slowly build up heat till around 65c-70c socket temp where I kill the stress. Core temps are 8-12c behind that. Ambient is around 18c.
Idle temp is as I type 36c at 4.4Ghz and 1.38 volts (Volts are up just for testing)
Yesterday I thought my installation was bad so I pulled the block off and discovered perfect contact with all of the cpu covered in thermal paste with no overflow.
Now I am out of options and wondering whats going on.

Only thing that comes into mind is that either my rad is covered in some type of crp inside or that my recycled fans aren't powerful enough to cool the water.

Just for comparison my Q6600 was clocked 3,4Ghz with idles of 25c average and 54 load and had an older EK supreme block that I know had some gunk in it. ( These are core temps )

Here is my current setup:
-FX-8350
-EK Supermacy copper-plexi
-Gelid GC-Extreme -Tpaste
-Swiftech mcp655-B - pump
-HWlabs GTX360 extreme - 360mm radiator
-Three noctua case fans on rad

It's a hot CPU. Your rad is how many fins per inch (FPI)? And what exact fans do you have? If it's a 20+ FPI you might need better fans. And you might just have to back off on the overclock somewhat. No matter how big and good the loop is, the CPU block can only remove so much heat.

What you should do is download Hwmonitor, open it and run prime for 20 minutes, keep the temps below 70 on the socket and 62 on the package. Then post a screen shot of Hwmonitor here as well as the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and memory. The socket temp heating up is an indicator of lack of airflow through the case, lack of air flow over the Vrm section and also a low end motherboard. What motherboard do you have the Fx 83xx on?

Most of us with the 8xxx FX use fans on the VRM and behind the MOBO as well to help keep the CPU/socket temps down. These are very hard on the power section. I don't see which Mobo you are using but that'll play a big part in your overall temps.

Man I really need to speed up with Manny the Ninja lurking around!!

Most of us with the 8xxx FX use fans on the VRM and behind the MOBO as well to help keep the CPU/socket temps down. These are very hard on the power section. I don't see which Mobo you are using but that'll play a big part in your overall temps.

Man I really need to speed up with Manny the Ninja lurking around!!
It's your 10 thumbs, it makes it harder for yooos to types!

Airflow isn't issue in my opinion and I have placed a fan on top of the VRM. Fans on the radiator are older(4years+) Noctua make, I cant remember the exact model but it was one of the higher rpm fans at the time. Radiator is 20FPI and average thickness.
Motherboard is Sabertooth 990FX R2

Here's my optimized stock clocks
LOWEST VOLTAGE@STOCK.png

I optimized the stock speed somewhat and got stock temps more tolerable.
They are still high for that voltage in my opinion.
I'll put little bit of stress on the loop in a moment and post another screen.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I added couple more no name fans on the radiator so its push pull, got a little bit better result
MAXING@.png

Still I would expect custom loop doing better than cheap aftermarket kit.
I might just have a bad thermal chip :/

E: Added attachments

Last edited:
I can't check your pics from here , won't allow me to. But something is amok with your setup. The Mobo is a good choice, you have active VRM cooling so the only thing left is your case flow and rad fans. I was using 2 of these + the stock case fan for intake On a LianLi pc71 and using a Thermal Take Water Ex 2.0 with 4 of these and at 4.64G with 1.476v would barely hit 50°c using P95 blend. Mind you it was loud with all 4 fans at 2600 rpm but it was cool.
So either you need more air or there's something wrong with your loop.

Stock settings I optimized are
4Ghz
vcore 1.224v
Socket 48c
Cores 34c

OC run
4.7Ghz
vcore 1.416
Socket hits 65c and I stopped prime
Cores 59c

All other temps seem fine, the vrm runs a bit hot at 60c but I think it is well within specification.

My loop is simple res,pump,block,rad and fully external, hoses come through back for the cpu block
My goal is to run around 5Ghz with TurboV evo profile when I need power and I would expect max 55c temps.
My chip is doing ok with the OC other than the thermal performance.

I think I'll invest in some decent fans but first I need to do some testing. Maybe seal a vacuum cleaner on the rad or stick the rad in a fridge.

Here's how to insert an image. I also agree with Johan, something isn't right with your loop. At those volts on water those temps seem pretty high.

Yep something is off
I get those temps on my air setup at those speeds
Your Vcore and cpu/nb volts are real low so on water you should be in the 50's
Is the block clean? What is your delta T?

you need more air on the vrm to cool it better.
the core temps at 60 @4.7 somethings screwy.
how thick is that rad?

Welcome to OCFs!

I will first say that I will take the word of the others since they have experience on AMD chips as I don't.

What are your fans speed set at as well as your pump?

Here's a nice link of your radiator in action. The higher the RPM the better heat dissipation to a certain point.

As for the loop, how old is it and when's the last time you did a tear down?

Ok today I tore apart the whole system, flushed the rad with high pressure and took a look inside the cpu block.
Turns out I had messed up the jet plate orientation. I was really tired when I put this together and somehow despite triple checking I managed to **** it up.
So I fixed it, rebuilt my system and there we go, idle temps dropped 10c.

Here is a screen of the loop with stock stress ( edit and this is with the pump way down, rad needs pressure to work properly )
Doing good.png

God I feel stupid now :D 10+ years of experience and this. I was so sure I set it right.

Did a quick run to see if I could find my chips limit. Now I'm limited by the pump power, I ran out of Dwater and can't run the pump very hard due to the huge vortex it creates on my half filled res.
4.9.png

Last edited:
No worries, things happen no matter how many years of experience you have.

:clap: Now that's the good news I want to hear. A whopping 10c difference. :attn:

Just fill up the reservoir almost to the top and you might want to add a sponge I believe in the tube reservoir. It might help with the vortex issue.

A few shots of the rig would be nice. :p

Yes that's tons better, more as to be expected any way. 1.52v now that's working it!! If you can manage a fan in behind the mobo at the socket area it'll help a bit with your CPU/socket temp. 68c is getting to the edge.

God I feel stupid now 10+ years of experience and this. I was so sure I set it right.
We've all been there and done it....No worries and +1 to the fan behind the motherboard.

As someone that owned the generation just before the GTX, if you put some higher static pressure higher rpm fans on it, the difference it not exactly small in temp drop, I used deltas on mine personally going from some lower speed Yate Loons I saw a rather big drop in temps.

If you can get your hands some on some AP15 1850's they should do the trick pretty well, I've also heard some good things on the new corsair SP120's as well.

The sweet spot I've read seems to be 2200 RPM on those GTX series rads. (300w)

I definitely need new fans to meet my goal temps.
Now I don't want to go bankrupt buying fans so I was wondering if scythe slipstream 1900rpm push/pull would do okay on 20fpi rad.
I could go ahead and get gentle typhoons or corsairs but those cost a lot more and I'm not sure if they're worth it in push/pull configuration.
slipstreams 1900rpm 45e
typhoons 3000rpm 108e
corsairs 2350rpm 97e

As for the socket cooling I can't do anything about it until I cut the back plate on my case or buy a new one which I need to do anyway since my case is "customized" to a point where it's a miracle it still holds together.

Last edited:
If you can manage to find a set of AFB1212HHE deltas for a fairly cheap price they work great, but make sure you have decent fan controller, I had 3 of the 3700RPM deltas... couldn't turn them up all the way unless I was trying for some benchmarks lol, going to try the SP120's myself since I have 4 of them in my case with a new rad when I finally decide to buy a new pump. tempted to use a couple of my deltas as my main case intake fans since I have two intakes and 3 exhaust. Those things really move a LOT of air. You don't need push/pull with those either but they're 120x38mm so they are pretty wide.

Last edited:
Back