• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help With Windows 7 Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LilBuddy

I'm working on installing Windows 7 Upgrade from XP Pro. I have XP on a 72gb RAID setup and I don't want to lose it. I am trying to install Windows 7 on to a 640gb hd. When I do the upgrade what will happen to my old XP setup on the 72gb drives? After installing can I dual boot into the Windows 7 on the 640gb or the XP on the 72gb?

johnz

I don't know all the ramifications of running RAID as I never have. Typically what will happen with regular drives is Win7 will overwrite the XP bootloader, and you'd be able to dual boot using Win7's bootloader. I don't /think/ RAID will affect that, but maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

nightelph

A surefire way to protect your raid array is power off and unplug the sata cables to your raid drives, and boot and install Win7. Hook it all back up later.

OP
LilBuddy

LilBuddy

Well since it is an upgrade I have to have the XP drive on there so it can verify that I have an existing copy.

nightelph

Lol, whoops. I missed that its an upgrade version. Windows 7 can't perform a traditional upgrade from XP, only Vista and up.

windows-7-upgrade-chart.jpg

OP
LilBuddy

LilBuddy

Well my concerns are:

1) Will the Windows 7 install format my old XP drive even though I'm installing 7 on a different drive

2) Will I still be able to use XP on the other drive in case I don't like 7

OP
LilBuddy

LilBuddy

Well I got to the first restart with Windows 7 and stopped it there to find out. I unplugged the drives and the boot wouldn't happen. I guess the boot record is on the RAID setup for the Windows 7 install. I put the drives back in and a boot menu came up to let me choose Older Windows version or Windows setup. So far so good. Back to installing later I guess.

SteveLord

Well my concerns are:

1) Will the Windows 7 install format my old XP drive even though I'm installing 7 on a different drive

2) Will I still be able to use XP on the other drive in case I don't like 7

Isn't it kind of late to "test" windows 7? I mean, its been available in various formats for almost a year or something. If you really wanted to check it out, you'd have done that...or install it on a virtual machine. Coming from XP, I'm not sure what there is that you woudn't like. Not having to supply a floppy disk for basic SATA drivers is a huge bonus over XP in itself.

Last edited:
OP
LilBuddy

LilBuddy

Well I love XP and if what I do on my current OS won't work on 7 I'm not going to be happy with it.

OP
LilBuddy

LilBuddy

Well I'm in Windows 7 for the first time. My first impression is it is exactly what MS should have done after XP. It seems like they took all the good stuff of XP and added the flash of Vista.

SteveLord

Well I'm in Windows 7 for the first time. My first impression is it is exactly what MS should have done after XP. It seems like they took all the good stuff of XP and added the flash of Vista.

Thats how I describe it to everyone. The bells and whistles of Vista with the speed of XP.