• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with XP partition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NV

Hey guys, I built this rig a few months ago and I've been running Ubuntu on it fine. I haven't put much effort into the XP partition I put on it, but now I want to get some solid benchmarking and things like that in. I could use linux but I'd rather use windows because of the well established benchmarking and overclocking utilities.

Anyway, I'm having trouble connecting to the internet. As in, I can't at all. I'm attempting to use a wired ethernet connection. I remembered needing a network driver for fresh XP installs on a different computer I have, so I tried to load my motherboard's driver disk hoping that might get everything working. The problem is XP doesn't seem to recognize my CD drives at all. They are LG Blacks.

Now both of these things are functioning 100% fine in Ubuntu so I know it isn't a hardware problem.

Thanks for the help guys :)

OP
N

NV

99% sure the installation disk I used is sp2. :shrug:

WarriorII

Moderator #666
It's suppose to recognize the connection, at least when you do your mobo disk install it should also see your stuff.

OP
N

NV

Uhh... I can't install the mobo disk. XP won't recognize my CD drives.

Did you not read the OP or was that grossly unclear? If the latter I apologize. Both my internet and (inconveniently) CD drives are not functioning.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
"XP won't recognize my CD drives", meaning the opticals don't show up in Device Manager? Which MB do you have, and how are the drives connected to the board, i.e. which SATA controller?

OP
N

NV

All that shows up in the device manager under DVD/CD-ROM drives is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22LS50. There's only one entry and there are two drives, but this IS the model number of my drive. Also, the icon next to it has a little exclamation mark.

I have the EVGA x58 SLI LE, and the drives are connected directly to the board.

Do I need to find some drivers and install them via flash drive?

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
i would suggest checking the properties of the item in device manager to see what the status says is the problem with the device:
right click on the item > 'Properties' > look under 'Device status'

another option would be to boot up in your ubuntu partition, mount your ntfs windows partition and copy the contents of the driver CD to the windows partition to a temporary location. then you could update the drivers from device manager using the files you pulled from the driver CD.

OP
N

NV

mbentley, I tried what you suggested for the drives. I feel as though I installed a lot of bloatware (not really expecting it to make a difference, but also not wanting to be the idiot that decided not to install the piece that bundle's an actual driver with itself...) and the drives still don't work.

Anyway I figured I'd do the same for the EVGA disk. I installed the LAN driver and now the internet works perfectly. So thanks for the brilliantly simple idea on the hackish workaround.

I'd still love to hear anyone's ideas on the CD drives, but it's really just not a priority because I don't intend to make heavy use of my XP partition anyway, and I can continue to load CDs by copying the files over if I have to. Hopefully I won't find myself wanting to play any games that I can't work around the whole 'needing a CD in the drive' concept.