• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help!! XP Boot Problem..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marduke

Disabled
:rain: my computer suddenly became a turtle in booting... it took 5 min to escape that windows xp logo boot. i tried reformating my computer but it does not solve the problem. its still 5 min boot. its a AMD Sempron with 1.81Ghz. and 512mb ram. i know its slow. but its not slow enough to boot windows xp in 5min right? help please... :cry:

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
First off, welcome to OCF! :welcome:

Please list your entire system specs, we can better assist you if we know what you're working with. My first instinct leans toward a dying HDD.

How long did it take to boot prior to this? Did you make any hardware changes immediately or soon before this happened? Try disconnecting all accessories but the keyboard & mouse (printers, anything connected via USB or any other port). See if it boots faster that way.

OP
M

marduke

Disabled
thank you.. :)

AMD Sempron 3200+ 1.81Ghz
512mb ram.
Built-in videocard.

as of now thats the only info i can get. im kinda busy right now. imma update these asap..

it boots like a normal pc. less than 1 min or 1 min. but never this 5mins! :p

its newly formated pc so no other accessories installed.

no hardware changes...

also. it boots fast in safemode.. :)

OP
M

marduke

Disabled
a little update.. tried changing the hard disk... nothing changed after a clean format.. :rain:

A15G

May be due to a HDD damage/read problem. I once had an issue where I had to keep rebooting my windows xp os to the hdd due to that it was damaged. Everytime I installed a clean OS it would isntall drivers etc. Then when I turn it off and wake up the next morning it 'd say windows is missing files and it would be very very very slow on booting. Sometimes it even gets stuck at the windows xp logo. Try a new HDD. That would be the first problem that would come into my head when it comes to loading your os.

OP
M

marduke

Disabled
tried changing to a new HDD. problem not fixed..

i have used the same os on my p4 pc. it was running smoothly. :cry:

omg. something in my head tells me to dump this stupid pc :shrug:

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
1. Try a different IDE cable. IDE cables DO go bad. Make sure that the HD is the only device on the cable to rule out interference from another drive.

2. Try the other IDE Port on the motherboard. It's possible the motherboard connecter is dying.

3. Make sure you didn't accidently change the access mode in the BIOS. May sound like an out-there shot in the dark, but reset your bios to defaults and see if anything changes.

zzzzzzzzzz

After a quick skim, my opinion woluld be that a BIOS, motherboard, or other hardware problem may exist.

Check BIOS parameters, clean and examine motherboard and other hardware for obvious physical defects (such as leaking capacitors), and ensure all interconnects are connected correctly.