• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your primary OS is Vista so yes you are running a virtual machine which is running Ubuntu. You have to run Samba to get your networking setup within the VM or your Windows network won't see the VM running. All I did was go to the VM and navigated to my "folding" folder and right clicked and chose sharing and it installed Samba. After it ran my Ubuntu VM showed in My Network in Windows 7.

Your primary OS is Vista so yes you are running a virtual machine which is running Ubuntu. You have to run Samba to get your networking setup within the VM or your Windows network won't see the VM running. All I did was go to the VM and navigated to my "folding" folder and right clicked and chose sharing and it installed Samba. After it ran my Ubuntu VM showed in My Network in Windows 7.

Well I did same thing and it is not showing on network. Really not worried about it anymore. But Thanks to you all for trying.

Well I did same thing and it is not showing on network. Really not worried about it anymore. But Thanks to you all for trying.

Too bad it's not working, strange....... As long as it's folding that's all that really matters. I ended up losing my 62,000 pointer last night when it switched over to fold for pete_scout. :shrug:

Well back to watching my Patriots getting crushed by the Ravens! :temper:

How is the virtual ethernet set on the VM? Bridged or NAT? It is much easier to monitor the VM with HFM if the VM is bridged (effectively on the same LAN).

Once set to bridged your IP addresses should look similar to this:
VM Host (Vista) = 192.168.1.x
VM (Ubuntu) = 192.168.1.x

If the VM is set to NAT, then you will have totally different IP addresses on separate networks. Much harder to monitor with NAT configuration.

How is the virtual ethernet set on the VM? Bridged or NAT? It is much easier to monitor the VM with HFM if the VM is bridged (effectively on the same LAN).

Once set to bridged your IP addresses should look similar to this:
VM Host (Vista) = 192.168.1.x
VM (Ubuntu) = 192.168.1.x

If the VM is set to NAT, then you will have totally different IP addresses on separate networks. Much harder to monitor with NAT configuration.

It is Bridged.

btw, I know why you have extra flags, I had the same issue. Its because when launching fah from the terminal it still uses the info in teh config you created. so you do not need to add those flags just type ./fah6 in the terminal.

btw, I know why you have extra flags, I had the same issue. Its because when launching fah from the terminal it still uses the info in teh config you created. so you do not need to add those flags just type ./fah6 in the terminal.

Yep figured that one out, Thanks.

HA,
BY default Samba puts WIndows shares in the workgroup workgroup. A Windows 7 rig in the same workgroup should see the share. Homegroup means nothing to Samba, in Windows 7 networking you have to get the machine into the workgroup workgroup.

One problem I had with Samba was that after an ubuntu update, samba stopped working. I had to remove it and reinstall it. I recommend you do that. First update ubuntu. From the terminal window (Applications/Accessories) enter:
sudo apt-get update
then
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Navigate (places) to the Folding directory and turn off file sharing on the folder (right click, sharing options).
Open a terminal window and remove samba:
sudo apt-get remove samba

answer yes to proceed.

then reinstall it:
sudo apt-get install samba

Now navigate to the folding directory and right click on it, sharing options, check share, let others change my files and allow guest access. It should work after that.

Back