• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Here is a source for C1 stepping P4 2.4B

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmsandrsn

**Before you try and shoot me down on this post I am aware that a C1 stepping will not necessarily guarantee an overclock to 3 GHz+ plus this price is on the expensive side when compared to Newegg & Googlegear. But if you do want one, this is best way I know of next to actually going to a store or computer show and looking at the product first.**

I sent the e-mail below to a guy at www.dallasmemory.com They are willing to make sure that you get the right CPU. He must be in tune to what his supplier has because I asked about both a P4 2.26 & P4 2.4B and he must have known that 2.4B's are out there but 2.26 chips are not (which corresponds to what people in this forum have exprienced).

Their price is a bit high at about $225 with FedEx 2nd day. However, there is a nice strategy you can use if you have an American Express card with the Best Value Guarantee feature. If you use this card to buy the CPU you can have American Express reimburse you for the difference if you find a lower price in the next 60 days. So since I bought it for $209 (can't count the shipping charge) I could already get about $20 back since Googlegear has it for about $189. Plus, in 60 days it could very easily be another $20-30 lower.

I called up the guy today and he said to just put in the special instructions field that I only want the SL6EF version and they'll cancel the order if they can't get one.

Here is what I put in the special instructions field.
Special Instructions : ATTN ALEX: Per our conversation, I am specifically ordering a retail box P4 2.4B with s-spec/product code ending in SL6EF. Please cancel order if this specific code is not available. Thanks!!

Here is the copy of the e-mail I sent to him and the reply.
----- Original Message -----
To: James Anderson
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 5:17 PM
Subject: Re: CPU Request

P4-2.4 Retail box with SL6EF can be special ordered.

Thank You,

[email protected]
800-965-2447 direct
214-221-2299 fax

To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 7:06 PM
Subject: CPU Request

OOPS...I feel awfully stupid now. I forgot to mention the s-spec codes that I was looking for.

The P4 2.26 with C1 stepping has a product code that ends with SL6EE.
The P4 2.4B with C1 stepping has a product code that ends with SL6EF.

Thanks again,
James
To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 8:02 PM
Subject: CPU Request

Hi Alex,
You've checked for certain CPU's for me before and was hoping you might have the time to check this for me. I was looking to get either a P4 2.26GHZ/533 (P4/478-2.26G533-Box) or P4 2.4B/533 (P4/478-2.4G533-Box) that is the new C1 stepping. I would definitely take one if you have it. Plus if you have several on hand I can probably send other people your way as well. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks
James

OP
J

jmsandrsn

Well, they ended up delivering as promised. Here is the CPU I got.

SL6EF
Costa Rica
FPO/Batch: 3235A261
10/4/2002

I'm just getting ready to try it out. I'll post the results in a bit.

OP
J

jmsandrsn

Here are the results so far. System specs can be seen in my signature. Heatsink is Alpah 8942. Voltages posted below are BIOS settings rather than the actual readings from PC Probe.

Not sure if 3 GHz is going to be rachable.

150 FSB
1.525v...no problems at all

160 FSB
1.525v...would n't boot all the way into Window

1.55v.....booted into Windows but Prime95 gave immediate errror

1.575v...gave Prime95 error after about 4 or 5 iterations...plus IE error as well

1.60v....thought it was going to be stable at this voltage but got Prime95 error after 27 iterations.

1.625v..It went a little bit further without getting Prime95 errors but I still ended up getting one.

1.65v...Things seem to be going pretty well. Have been looping 3DMark2001 for about 300 screens now. I assume Prime has had no errors but can't really check it while 3DMark is running.

170 FSB
1.65v...Didn't think it would run stable but wanted to see how it behaved. Booted into Windows but got Prime95 errors immediately as well as IE error.

1.675v...Prime95 error immediately.

1.7V...Ran about 10 iterations in Prime95 and then got an error. 3 GHZ is not looking very good right now.

1.725v...Immediate errors in Prime95

1.75v...Prime95 errors after about 30 iterations or so.

I'm not gonna go any higher on the voltage. I'll just have to decide whether I want to run this thing at 2.88GHz/160 FSB or put my [email protected]/170 FSB back in.

Last edited:

FIZZ3

2880 Mhz isn't a bad start... hopefully you'll get it stable and be able to touch the magic 3. =)