• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heres a good one for ya!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanFraser

Put in my new PSU and bits like that that came in a delivery yesterday, then started my comp up...

PRIMARY HARD DISK FAILURE

NNOOOOOOO!

I can 'see' the drive and its contents when i do a weird setup, CD as master, HD as slave, and booting on my 98 floppy... so i can rescue data thank god...

but what should i do? fdisk? format?

or is the boot sector 'shagged'?

HELP! I am posting from work coz I have the only comp out of my mates...

you might try having the hdd on a different IDE channel...the primary channel, and the cdrom on the secondary channel...make sure both are masters though. could be your OS is jacked, but if it happened when you plugged in your new psu, then that doesnt make any sense....do this, go into bios, and have it auto-detect IDE devices, that way you can be sure to get it right (do this after you plug the IDE cables in how i said above)....try that and come that

Hi Fraiser,

Did you by the new psu because the old one fried?

If it did fry, was there any collateral damage?

I've come to have a great deal of respect for psu's the last couple of months, especially new ones that would like to become part of my "little" (for now) rig.

Did you check the voltages before putting the psu in?

Just askin?:D

The only time I can see the HDD is by that weird setup I did... doing it normally doesnt even succeed if i boot on the floppy... And I bought an Enermax 431W PSU, got extra connectors, and its got enough power for my machine (to make sure anyway, plus I am going brand name instead of the white box stuff now)

And I am not too bothered about the OS being jacked, not much bother... But is it likely the boot sector could be shagged?

an old one (not really old though... its 12.5GB, big enough for me... until I get broadband that is!)

Back