• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Here's a Good Question about ATA/100 and Raid..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crispy

Ok....I want to know....If a Board has ATA/100 without Raid...Will it be as Fast as Using Raid?....Considering that the Cable's only goto ATA/100 I don't exactly Understand what's so Great about Raid...Besides You have to Use 2 HD's....So Can Someone Explain to me.....Why Raid is so much Better...When MoBo's can Do ATA/100 and that's all HD's Can do and Cable's?.....Maybe it's just the Lack of sleep. Thank You

Eriksson

If you set up two ATA100 drives in RAID-0 your computer sees them as one drive. This means two 20G = 1 40G. However by doing this your comp reads/writes both drives simultaneously. It is like having a two roads instead of one. This gives you almost twice the speed.

The raid offers also mirroring hdds raid 0+1, this is good if you want security. But the main benefit for the average user is the speedy raid-0