• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Here's how I mounted my Vantec Iceberq4 on the NF7 NB without gluing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fateshammer

To those of us who wanted to use the Vantec Iceberq 4 copper VGA cooler on the northbridge, we already know that its holes do not line up with the mounting holes on the NF7 mobo. I originally intended to just glue my Iceberq 4 to the NB by applying Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive on the four edges and then use AS5 on the center. But there was no need for that. This little mod was made easier due to the fact that I had decided to buy a Zalman Northbridge passive cooler (ZM-NB32J) and use it on my southbridge since I had no more smaller spare heatsink lying around at the time. Its a bit big for the southbridge, but what the heck, I just slapped it in there anyway. Since the Zalman heatsink would have to be glued to the SB, I was left with the spare parts that came with the package. The part that really made this little mod possible was the small metal link, as circled in the pic attached:

Attachments

• ZM-NB32J.jpg
    ZM-NB32J.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 167
OP
fateshammer

fateshammer

So I just attached that little metal link on one of the Iceberq's mounting holes, like so: I added two paper washers on the topside so the link screw would have a little bit of added clearance at the bottom.

Attachments

• iceberq4_link-top.jpg
    iceberq4_link-top.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
OP
fateshammer

fateshammer

Here's the bottom view:
I slightly sanded one of the sides (about half a millimeter) just enough to give clearance for the plastic push pin to be aligned with the mobo mounting hole. I also sanded the locking nut and screw (using my rotary tool) at the bottom for additional clearance, although I knew that it wasn't touching the mobo, I just wanted to have more clearance.

Attachments

• iceberq4_link-bottom.jpg
    iceberq4_link-bottom.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 166
OP
fateshammer

fateshammer

Sitting pretty and cozy beside the menacing SP-97. There's enough clearance between the two by the way.

Attachments

• iceberq4_sp-97.jpg
    iceberq4_sp-97.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 171
OP
fateshammer

fateshammer

And of course, here she is in action. Together with her big brother Enermax 92 on the SP-97 and their much bigger brother Papst 120 on the rear exhaust. What a hard-working family :).

Attachments

• iceberq4_light-on.jpg
    iceberq4_light-on.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 164

HousERaT

Senior Air Extraordinaire
hmmmmm.... that's sweet..... does it work well? maybe i'll remove my original copper iceberq and try the iceberq4......

p.s. guess you don't mind it's upsidedown..... :beer:

Goldstandard

Put this on overclockers.com front page! :burn:

Oh, as for the pushpins, I am gonna get me a nb cooler too. To remove the pins you press down and twist right?

OP
fateshammer

fateshammer

:) The first thing that I made sure before I fitted it on was that the nut below doesn't touch any component. Trust me, there's enough clearance in there. Just make sure you're not drunk when you do this. :beer: And removing the plastic pushpins is done the usual way, just carefully press from underneath and push the pin ( that's why its called pushpin :D, j/k. )

Tat

It'd be look better with TT smartfan with blue led on it :). Anyway smart fan much better than that Ennermax. I have tried both and Ennermax gave me extra like 8 degrees lol :temper:
Nice job though. I might try to do it. :)

OP
fateshammer

fateshammer

Tat said:
... Anyway smart fan much better than that Ennermax. I have tried both and Ennermax gave me extra like 8 degrees lol :temper:

Really? I hope you're not kidding, cause 8 degrees is a lot. Hmm, I'm tempted to try that smart fan, see if its really smart. But not yet. I am planning to slap a ducted 120mm in there to replace my 92mm Enermax. I'll see if I can really blow the skirt out of my SP-97.

Anyway, thanks all for the :thup:.

Last edited:

Tat

Yeah.. that is true... range from 6-8 :). But there is only one thing I hate about TT is the whiney sound. Well.. it stops making that sound when I lowed it to 3000RPM. I really wanna try Delta but there is no more.