• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Here's what I did to my MC462

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

m_kelder

Registered
I took the 80mm fan off. Took 2 92mm 40cfm fans and stacked them in a stair formation so that the fins line up at the center of the hsf. This way you don't have a motor not pushing any air where the cpu is. Unfortunetly I only have a tbird 650 which is running at 866 to test, I broke my 1ghz axia :(. 133x6.5 1.88vcore. Mobo temp is 28c. Idle cpu temp is 32c. 25min Full load is 36c but I think it could possibly go 37c if left longer but it isn't showing any sign of going higher.

I've got more plans to make a directional shaft that would surround the MC462 sucking the air out of the case. It would have to be a high powered one to suck away the 80cfm the 92mm fans blow though. What do you think so far?

anarki_gr

your temps are pretty good but if you oc to higher speeds you'll need to get that fan blowing out the hot air. definitely, a high cfm fan would be essential. anyways, how did you brake your axia? :)

W

William

there was a site that had a very similar setup with two YStech fans for a 60mm hsf. Although he did not use a stair for the hsf. Gets better results and it won't be any louder.

OP
M

m_kelder

Registered
turns out I was an idiot and had the 92mm fans in the 5V line not the 12V. Results are tbird 650 @ 890mhz 1.91v (137x6.5). Mobo temp 27c, cpu idle 28c, cpu full load 30c. Way way better but it didn't translate into higher clocks because of the cpu limit. I might do a voltage mod on my iwill now and see what I get...

OP
M

m_kelder

Registered
anarki_gr (Jun 16, 2001 05:20 p.m.):
how did you brake your axia? :)

sizzle sizzle. THe MC462 comes with washers to go between the mobo and the screw holders, it is not needed on some mobo's and wasn't on mine. I mistakenly put them on, fired up and got the bios screen but it was shaking around like the old snes wave effect in games. After that I took the heatsink off and found that oil stuff on the heatsink but the heatsink hardly got a connection to the cpu core so it fried. I expected and was dissapointed when I didn't see a core that was broken in half and black ;)

OP
M

m_kelder

Registered
never ever :) I'm keeping the 1ghz cpu right by my monitor so I look at it everyday.