• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

herm... there goes another 60gxp.. i think..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FunkDaMonkMan

I keep hearing how everyone's 60gxp disks keep going out... well I think mine just went out.

it worked fine untill i think i grounded all of the pins out on my case :( I had my computer in piecies all over the place b/c i had just installed a new motherboard.. well yea... i think its a gonner.

i managed to delete all partition info off of the disk.. but now when I try to fdisk it .. it will try to verify drive integrity... get to 3%, start over, get to 5%, start over, get to 10%, start over. heck, it may finish but its gunna take all day.

All i hear is... scan scan scan.... scan scan scan.... scan scan scan... scan scan scan..... scan scan scan.....

is it toast?

FTC

funkdamon...,

While it's true that some disks fail, you'd be suprised by the amount of 'bad press' coming from the 75gxp lines into the 60gxps. Many of the 60gxp's failures I've heard about can be fixed. Just verify first your connections, grounding, ... and so on.
After that, download the DFT diagnostics diskette from IBM site and run it.... it'll take a while, but will tell you what happened with the disk... and hopefully fix it (if it's a matter of relocating some bad sectors or so).... even if it suffered mishandling it will tell you :).

Regards
FTC

OP
FunkDaMonkMan

FunkDaMonkMan

so it can probably be fixed .. whew...

btw.. i just saw my drive integrity test go up to 72% before restarting...

OP
FunkDaMonkMan

FunkDaMonkMan

lol...

i clicked "erase disk" and it said
"are you sure"
i clicked ok... it said
"are you really sure"
I clicked ok.. it said
"if you click start.. it will erase everything"

lol... kinda made me laugh at a time like this...

bdf24

Yes my 60gig 60GXP went last week. With the help of FTC I got it fixed just like you did. I could'nt partition it at all either. Would get so far and then just stop. And I could hear a constant "ERH, ERH, ERH, ERH coming from the drive. With the advice of FTC I downloaded DFT and wrote Zero's to the drive like you did and all is well.

Feel's good to resurect it doesn't it?
Although I did lose over 50 gig's of Movies, Games, and Music. And that hurt. But that's what high speed internet is for right! :)

OP
FunkDaMonkMan

FunkDaMonkMan

right :D.. i'm currently downloading over 100 megs of drivers on this old compaq, while the main rig installs windows.

I lost about 30gigs.

My brother will soon get a new pc for x-mas, and I will start backing files up on his computer.