• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HexaCore Restoration Project underway (AMD Phenom II 970 Zosma) *Pending 960T*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And not a particularly good clown college, at that!
OMG I have that board!

Edit: Actually Mine is a Ga-Ma790Fx DS5 but same color design "if that what you want to call it" :D
And you got to love the egg foam as a benching station! :D
ga-ma.jpeg

Last edited:
Time to re-lid my de-lid

Well folks, the new Biostar motherboard is here.

I swapped the 970 processor over and put in 8GB of Gskill DDR3 1600. Unfortunately I am running into problems from my de-lid. Something I probably wont do again.

I can't seem to keep the head spreader centered on the processor. And once I get the Hyper-212 installed the head spreader likes to "walk" a little bit and it's giving me hell.

The system is not stable at the moment. Unless someone has a better suggestion, I am going to JB weld the lid back onto the processor so it's stable and easy to swap in and out.

Stay tuned.

DSC03366.JPG
DSC03369.JPG

970 is on life support...

4236067695_ece7969587_z.jpg

Regression 101
Yeah... I'm not having a good time here with my 970. For the time being, I have to settle for my Phenom II X4 965 BE. That's been swapped in and overclock results are posted below...
So: The 970 is out pending a relid. I'm afraid the processor may be damaged beyond repair. I am not holding out much hope that it is recoverable. But we will clean it up and give it ONE MORE chance.
If she turns out to be toast, NOT ALL IS LOST!

I will then be purchasing an AMD 960T from eBay (to the tune of about $40) and we will try for a hexacore unlock. Put it this way: I will NOT settle until I find a 960T that unlocks into a stable hexacore.
Even if that involves buying and selling a couple times to find a good one.
Come hell or high water, we will get this rig dialed in! Stay Tuned!

On a positive note, the Intel SSD results are awesome. Windows 10 boot time is down to 8 seconds. And I don't even have the RAID 0 set up yet!

testnune.PNG

OR... you could just get a 1090T and not have to fiddle with it. But where's the fun in that, A.I.R.?

OR... you could just get a 1090T and not have to fiddle with it. But where's the fun in that, A.I.R.?

1100T is simply not cost effective. They still go for $150-200 on eBay. I can get a 960T for $40 and get the same results, plus have a little more fun with the fine tuning. Who doesn't love a good challenge?
After all, I cant change my avatar midstride... I'm in too deep now!!! I've already taken the red pill!

Have you tried just running the 970 without the lid? I have done that on old de-lidded AMD chips before

Have you tried just running the 970 without the lid? I have done that on old de-lidded AMD chips before

Me too. Plenty of times. Here's what I've found.
Bare die cooling is only better at sub ambient.
Ambient cooling needs the IHS for surface area to spread out the heat load.

Me too. Plenty of times. Here's what I've found.
Bare die cooling is only better at sub ambient.
Ambient cooling needs the IHS for surface area to spread out the heat load.

Hmmm. I will preface by stating I am not questioning your findings, just trying to get a better grasp of the AM3 before I start trying to cook some. Do you think it's because the thinner IHS conducts faster than the water block, over greater area, allowing otherwise excessive excessive heat/voltage for a benchmark or validation? Would a bare die take more voltage long term if raised incrementally, letting the loop temp stabilize each small step before moving up again? Or is the waterblock just too dense to be effective with the smaller footprint of the die? Inquiring minds want to know! Well, mine does, anyway. LOL

That cpu heatspreader is hardly "polished". If it was properly lapped it would look nothing like that.

Yes, I know. The Delid was definitely sub-par. I regret sending it out and having this procedure done because the guy made some really basic mistakes. Also noticed a small chunk taken out of the corner of the CPU die (see pics earlier in thread).

This was the start to my reliability problems with this CPU. Plus it kills the re-sale value and honestly, for air, I really don't think I would notice much difference in temperature deltas even if it had been done correctly.

Johan, yes that idea has been on my mind... I will be trying the CPU without the lid and making direct contact with the Hyper 212. So if the processor still boots, we will get some real data and do a temp comparison.

1100T is simply not cost effective. They still go for $150-200 on eBay. I can get a 960T for $40 and get the same results, plus have a little more fun with the fine tuning. Who doesn't love a good challenge?
After all, I cant change my avatar midstride... I'm in too deep now!!! I've already taken the red pill!

Wow, I had no clue they were still going for that much. That's not far off what they cost new.

EDIT:
Do the VRM heat sinks work on both boards?

Back