• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HexaCore Restoration Project underway (AMD Phenom II 970 Zosma) *Pending 960T*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow, I had no clue they were still going for that much. That's not far off what they cost new.

EDIT:
Do the VRM heat sinks work on both boards?

They will smoke a FX 6350 in an identical set up if the clocks are even within 300-400 MHz, and the 6350 is a Vishera. Until Ryzen, the 1100T was probably the best chip AMD ever produced.

Last edited:
Good news! I found a 960T in Canada which should dramatically cut shipping time. New CPU should be here within the week.
Going to cut right to the chase. I've been experimenting with a 240Mhz FSB which should result in a memory speed of 960Mhz. I'm pretty sure my 4GB XMS3 kit will run at these speeds.
So if the processor unlocks into a stable 6 core I will be happy. And Hopefully this wont turn into a fishing expedition.

Edit: New sticker for the AMD rig ;)

IMG_20180611_141852828.jpg

Last edited:
Well well well!! I think we may have a winner here! New 960T processor has arrived and has unlocked successfully to all six cores. Running at stock speeds for now so I can assess stability.
So far, so good! Will update throughout the evening as my hexacore overclocking adventure "resumes"! :clap:

960T.PNG
IMG_20180613_125510041_LL 7.jpg

-Enabled Custom P-State for 3500Mhz clock on all six cores!
-Enabled DDR3 1600Mhz @ 7-8-7-20 CR1
-Going to bump the CPU-NB next and try for 3000Mhz!
-Torture testing appears to support the fact we may have six stable cores here!!!!
Capture960Tunlocked.PNG
memlatency3500.PNG

Last edited:
So I've hit a bit of a speedbump here, no pun intended. Seems like the fastest/stable multiplier I can hit is 19x, and that results in 3800Mhz clock across all six cores. I'm also hitting 2800Mhz on the CPU-NB.. So I am definitely keeping this processor but I think I will purchase another one to try for the magical 4.0 / 3.0 cpu/cpu-nb... I'll tell you what, this processor is high on the list of performance per dollar. Very impressed thus far. More to come! Don't hold your breath though!

1600T.PNG

RAM speed down and HT up, maybe? If you're all out of multiplier, try FSB. To paraphrase Roddy Piper, "I have come here to raise multi and front side bus-and I'm all out of multi." LOL

What's your cooling look like?

I have a hyper 212 and my temp at idle is 48-50*C and 60-65* under full torture test load. About what my 970 used to run at. I've tried both low voltage (1.450v) ranging to high voltage (1.55v). Tried bumping the CPU-NB/chipset voltage, etc.

I have tested the new CPU with my TA970 as well as my A880GZ. It seems to do a little better on the GZ, as I can get it to post at 3.9Ghz but I'm still chasing that 4.0Ghz dragon.

Alaric, I will try tooling around with the HT link and see if that helps. As far as RAM speed goes, this is good memory and shouldn't be holding the CPU back.

Raising HT will up the RAM speed, putting more stress on the IMC. :D
Hmmm... Are you sure you don't mean raising the CPU-NB will up the RAM speed? Wasn't aware of the HT link being directly related to memory performance. Unless you are talking about PCI-e throughput?

Mr. Scott,

For water cooling what do you think of the Corsair H110 system?

]HT reference clock, normally at 200 MHz. Raising it raises CPU clock, NB, and RAM speed. IIRC, you drop the the HT ref. multi, then raise the HT ref. clock. I've just barely gotten back in to old AMD chips, so if I'm off base someone correct me!

From Page 7 here https://www.amd.com/Documents/AMD_Dragon_AM3_AM2_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf

HyperTransport™ (HT) reference clock (3)
Almost all the clocks are based on the HT reference
clock (200MHz by default). Therefore adjusting the
HT reference clock will increase the clock speed of
most key components in the system. This includes
CPU core clock, CPU NB clock (Memory controller),
Memory clock and HT clock frequency. Again,
please refer to the “Target Speed” section before
actually applying the HT reference clock adjustment.
In many cases the HT reference clock margin can be
limited by the System Memory clock. If this is the
case, it is a good idea to adjust the System Memory
settings to a lower value from the System BIOS [e.g.
adjust Memclk mode from DDR2-800(400MHz) to
DDR2-667(333MHz) and ensure that 2T timing and
safe, manual memory timings are applied from the
BIOS.]

HyperTransport™ (HT) Link multiplier (3)
This item can be used to adjust the HT Link multiplier
value.
The range of HT Link multiplier depends on the CPU
capabilities: with HT1 generation CPU the slider can
only go up to X5 (1GHz mode), with HT3 generation
of CPUs it can go up to X13 (2.6GHz mode). If HT3
CPU is booted up in HT1 mode (e.g. X5 or lower HT
Link multiplier) it cannot be adjusted to HT3 mode on
the fly. Switching from HT1 to HT3 mode requires a
BIOS adjustment.

You increase Memory speed by either divider or reference clock (bus). Your greatest leap in performance is always sheer cpu mhz. Then memory, then Nb then HT... in that order.

H110 is a decent starter kit. But shop around. Look at swifttech aio for example. The have some decent stuff. Prices aren't bad either.

@Alaric,

reference clock is not HT. The HT speed is based off the reference clock (it's not a "front side bus" anymore) and a multiplier. If you had a dual processor system, it would greatly aid in performance increase as HT is the interconnect between both processors via the NB. Thus you don't see any real performance gains overclocking HT bandwidth as there is only one processor on a Phenom II motherboard. 1800mhz, 2000mhz, 2200mhz... all would show no or very little difference with a benchmark score.

have a read here. https://www.hypertransport.org/

Last edited:
Back