• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hey guys just wondering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juliendogg

you could build one with a 12v car audio amplifier and run if from an ac/dc adapter with the correct voltage/amperage. i've thought about this alot myself. i have creative inspire 6.1's. i'd like to put a beefier sub to it. i tried just hooking up some i have to the little amp in the creative sub cabinet, there wasn't enough juice for any of the subs i have. i also have a couple cheap car audio amps laying around here, but i havn't picked up an appropriate adapter to power them with, i once thought of just hooking it into a molex on my psu and seeing if that would juice it enough, but i'm a little concerned of the amperage that even a 100w amp would pull.

hmmm you got me thinkin anyways......

cheers,
J.

juliendogg

ok that took me what? 10-15 minutes?

i now have the center/sub from my audio out run into a crap 200w optimus car audio amplifier, the output from that to a pioneer truck cabinet containing 2 8" woofers and 1 mid/high.

sounds awesome!!!

i'm watchin the 12v rail close, it's dropped maybe .05 only. not a big sacrifice lol.

good luck post back what ya think.

J.

juliendogg

works good here, i got a larger amp i think i'll hook up using a spare psu. one thing that's going to make a diff is the type of sound you're using. if u have 2 channel or more... i suppose if you just had 2 channel you could simply split the output of left/right to your amp and still run them to your comp speakers too. i have 6 channel audio onboard so just used the sub/center out and ran it to a big full range speaker via the amp.

what's your setup now?

J.

GravY

Incase your intrested..

I just got off of Ebay a powered sub by Aiwa for 35.00 plus shipping and it sounds really good, I run it off my sub output on the mobo and the rest of my system off an older surround reciever, which outputs to bose shelf speakers and optima rears..

Model: TS-WM6 Power Output: 50W Frequency Response 40HZ-200HZ Speaker Type: Bass reflex Type Speaker Unit: 20CM Power Requirement: AC 120 V Dimensions: 9 3/8" X 16 1/4" X 10 1/8" Weight: 11 LBS

Picture

OP
1-Man-Army

1-Man-Army

i only have 2 speakers and no sub its in my sb live 5.1 its pluged in 1 channel so i was just wondering if it was possible to build a sub woofer from scratch but i guess u guys went out and got one of those for a car and rig it up for a computer

juliendogg

i don't really understand what you mean by "from scratch". we arent really baking biscuits here you know, lol. anyway you look at it, you're going to need 3 things, a line out, an amplifier, and a decent bass speaker. in this case i think the easiest/cheapest solution would be to use car audio equipment. if you've got a little more cash to spend, there are some really nice powered subs out there for home audio, just plug and play if you go that route. check out some of the yamaha's and such they carry at best-buy. some great sound out of those and very easily adapted to pc use.

J.