• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hey, it DOES work!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

james.miller

what am i talking about?

using an empty fan housing as a conduate of sorts to direct the flow of air on a heatsink fan (by stacking the fan on top if it, and securing the empty housing to the heatsink)

my idle temps droped 2-3c on my athlon by doing it.
iv'e now got a very-quite 80mm fan (about 14-16dba i think) on my volcano 7 and it idles at 41c.

also, this method seems to dull down the noise of the fan aswell.

man i couldnt believe it actually works! its sooo quiet now, that my psu fan is starting to annoy me!

its a bit warmer than with my 92mm fan, but damn! its even quieter!

Cheesy Peas

is that the stock fan on it?
ive got a v7 and if thats with the stock fan then i might do the same.
whats the depth of the fan hosung youve got on it?

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
sounds like it's time to go find a dead fan and build myself a little fan tower, if you will. :D i'll let you know what the results are for myself.

OP
james.miller

james.miller

standard 80mm housing and no, it isnt the stock fan. i killed that! lol

its a very slow fan that spins at 2000rpm max i would imagine, low airflow, very quiet. It doesnt even have half the airflow of the standard v7 fan - which should tell you guys how quiet it really is.

edit: its about level noise-wise with my 80bg maxtor ata133 hdd

OP
james.miller

james.miller

yeah it was mentioned here a while ago, but i forgot all about it until i found a dead 80mm fan and though "hhmmmm... lets experiment!"

Cheesy Peas

nice so i should get some pretty good results with my v7.. im lapping it at the mo too

how did you kill your fan.. i killed one on my ex Volcano j by sticking my finger in it and breaging one of the blades... whih was rather painfull and messy!

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
I killed a few when cleaning them with compressed air and accidentally letting them spin................................zip now they make a funny noise (to bad I tossed them)

PS I still clean them the same way

OP
james.miller

james.miller

im not exactly sure! lol
one day i turned on my pc and boom! bright flash and smoke from the fan. im lucky the pc works at all!