• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey you guys Ocing Tualatins Celerons and PIII @ high FSB...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@crilicM@n

Hey, everybody whos overclocking tualatins celrons and mainly pIIIt... Those who are hitting 150-160+ FSB.... I´d like to know what extra cooling are you using if that´s the case in the board chipset and PLL chip if that´s the case and vio voltage... Didi you notice a need for that...?

I´m with a Tusl2c and want to at least do the 166max on this mobo and already ordered a ArticS3 and Artic glue to atach active aircooling heatsinks to the chipset and think seriously doing the same to that pLL chip (clock generator) couse i think that´s too much hot for my taste...

Basicly would like to know what do you think is preventing you from scaling up higher FSB....

-Tusl2c
-Radeon7500
-256mb Tonicon MicroBga SDram PC166 (Tested it at 150 with all up and it´s Ok... 166 probably cas3.... Have seen some 183mhz cas3 out there...
-AlphaPal6035+Delta38 (Soon to be upgraded...)

Looks like you should be good to go. I wish I could have
found some of that Tonicom PC166 stuff...

I have the same AlphaPal, and it does fine. Its on my Celly
now, but used to be on the P3-S. Kept it under 40c at
155-158fsb.

One thing you didnt list, that might hold you back is your HDD.
It might not like the high PCI speeds.

My main rig has a 40gb IBM GXP60 in it, and it will flake out
if I go to 158 or above. Been running 155 for several months
now all the time OK.

I am using a Gigabyte XET motherboard that I put a chipset
cooler and stuff on, but I'm not real sure if that helped or not.

Got a TUSL2-C as a backup that I tested for a few days at
151mhz and it had no problems. No mods on that one.

My hd is a seagate barracuda ATAII 7200rpm de 10.2Gb... It already handled fine 41mhz pci, what is about almost 166 with the 1/4 PCI divider... At least I don´t think it will creep until there... But I´m havind a hard time to recognize my 2nd cdrom unit on the 2nd IDE channell... :-(
I´m using the cpu on the exact same speed I used to in my soyo 6vba133 with the apollo pro chipset, the 693, that with the worst bandwidth and I´m currently with exactly the same amount of bandwidth in sandra and the quakeIII is still stuck at the same speed!!! I use all up 150mhz (fsb + pci) on that one and had the same bandwidth :-( I think a via 694 tuned mobo don´t leak behinfd an i815ep chipset on memory bandwidth, off course, using a good memory module... (When I used stock pc133 on the via the bandwidth was terrible...)...

well i always wanted to manage the 150 mhz fsb on my old but gold mobo. but i didnt even get the 133 mhz fsb due to my ram i think. i got pc 133 but it wont post after all. maybe i need some of this pc 166 stuff, but no idea where to get it...

When I was running my P3 1.26S proc with a 120 watt pelt and watercooling, I had it up to 181 fsb without using the pll dividers on my GA-6OXET board without stability problems besides the warm boot issue that this board has. However, I couldn't run the pll dividers at this speed as the board wouldn't boot at all. I was running a Maxtor D740X hard drive and no corruption problems at all, even with a PCI bus speed of over 45 mhz. I did nothing special to cool the board chipset except to remove the stock nb cooler, lap it and re-install with AS2. When the pelt burned up, I moved this rig to another box and installed a Kanie Hedgehog that I had laying around for a hsf and used the wc case for my dual rig. I presently have the 1.26 running at 152 fsb, using that box for my ICS net connection box for my sat broadband. I don't push it hard any more because this rig needs to be reliable so that I can get the rest of my rigs up on the net.

This pc166 has practicaly the same máx speed than crucal pc133 original Cas2 (The one Crucial say work at 133 with cas 2....) Nothing much special anymore I think tor the today patterns , it has 6ns chips on it...

Well muddoctor... I think your mobo and the abit st6 are the best for tualatin Oc.... The asus I rank in 3rd place I think becouse it always need a tweaked bios to work Ok in high Oc..... Does your have the dual bios?!
think it[´s patetic we buy good boards that come with only one bios and no jumper for bios killed booting in order to reflash... Ok, it just happens sometimes.... But to me happened last time :( They keep this stupid ddeficiency in today mobos just to make you buy a new one again... F¨$%$¨*...

Is the GA-6OXET just as rare as the ST6? Because I can't find any places selling it.

Tipycol said:
Is the GA-6OXET just as rare as the ST6? Because I can't find any places selling it.

The Kind of good things that stay on Japan, some places of Asia and Europe... Just as Abit, but Abit can be found in USA easily... Here in Brazil they not are just rare but very very very expensive :eek:

@crilicM@n said:

The Kind of good things that stay on Japan, some places of Asia and Europe... Just as Abit, but Abit can be found in USA easily... Here in Brazil they not are just rare but very very very expensive :eek:

Yea I guess you have it worse than me. Still, I thought things were getting released internationally now? Oh well...
Maybe I should make a 1-day trip to Japan ;)

The St6 isn´t made any more, i had a hard time trying to get one but couldn´t, the only i can find was a soyo 7vbaU and it rus fine, the only bad thing is that i can´t get this mobo go beyond 143 fsb, don´t know why, it also has a feature that if you screw your´bios it ask you for the boot floppy, it works great so no fears about screwed bios for me :D

Yea I know they don't make the boards anymore, but one pops up on eBay every now and then. I don't quite know what you talking about though with a screwed bios asking you for a boot disk?

Yeah, mine is the XET with the dual bios and Creative sound chip and 4 dimm slots(like you really need more than 2 with i815:) ). It's nice to know that I do have a backup bios in case of a flash failure though and another added bonus of dual bios is that if I overclock too far and the rig won't boot up, it automatically shifts to the backup bios and settings after a couple attempts. I'd relly like to see how far I could push 1 of the 1.4S chips with this board but the price of the proc is just way too high for my blood right now. The biggest problem I had running at that high a fsb speed was that my Crucial ram couldn't handle it and I had to set the jumpers on the mobo to lower the mem speed down to something the ram could handle.

muddocktor said:
Yeah, mine is the XET with the dual bios and Creative sound chip and 4 dimm slots(like you really need more than 2 with i815:) ). It's nice to know that I do have a backup bios in case of a flash failure though and another added bonus of dual bios is that if I overclock too far and the rig won't boot up, it automatically shifts to the backup bios and settings after a couple attempts. I'd relly like to see how far I could push 1 of the 1.4S chips with this board but the price of the proc is just way too high for my blood right now. The biggest problem I had running at that high a fsb speed was that my Crucial ram couldn't handle it and I had to set the jumpers on the mobo to lower the mem speed down to something the ram could handle.

You seem to be doing very well with the VH6-T board, how come people don't seem to like it that much here on this forum?

me

Yeah, the vh6t is being recomended too...!
The screwed bios is: When your flash fail, sometimes the board does still boot, so that you can try to flash again.... Those with that jumper said before, do have a litle piece of instructions enabled by the jumper which makes you able to boot again with that information and reflash your bios.... so no trouble, like the dual bios, effective but not as charmy as a dual bios he he

Darkseid is very very good to hear about you with this mobo! Becouse it´s one I´m seriously considering (can find here...) if my 2nd ide can´t get Ok... I saw in the manual it says that there is a 1-1mhz adjust to the FSB until 200mhz..! But, as you sayd... Maybe not that friendly to up150 fsb... But I ´d like to see you atach the chipset heatsink with thermal epoxy (or put an active small cpu cooler) on that and put a heatsink in the PLL chip too: My old 6vba133 did run that very very hot (Too much hot that you couldn´t keep the finger on it!!! :eek: The Tusl2c seems a bit hot too... :eek: I think that may be a factor... Is your case well cooled? Mine is soo good that my cpu becomes 5c higher on burn P6 test with the case open! I think for the mobo that is very important... My mobo temps are usually 1-2c máx more than my room ambient thermometer...! Increasing the speed on my delta black label did not improove the temp 1/10th of my case fans do for my cpu when changing my old Sanyo Denki 20-25cfm ! Lot´s of low rpm silent fans is the way to go I Think. You can make a test with a home ventilator blowing directly to your case open, just for a test, that could help me before I full ventilate my miditower (1x120 + 3x80 + Font80), if your cabinet isn´t good already... (maybe you ´re more ventilated than me he he)... I´ll put this 40mm 0.08 amp fan on the chipset (until I find a better Heat sink for It (But tusl2c needs to disassemble the mobo to remove that..! Very tight:bang head (cool new smile!!!!). Please, take a litle time to wacht closer the capacitors arround the cpu and tell your impressions about them.... There is a straight relation with their quantity and size and achievable FSB on the mobos...! Do me this favor please! And if you have the onboard audio of it, please tell me how many channels it have in the back (have front + rear?) Please!!!!

Re: me

@crilicM@n said:
...The screwed bios is: When your flash fail, sometimes the board does still boot, so that you can try to flash again.... Those with that jumper said before, do have a litle piece of instructions enabled by the jumper which makes you able to boot again with that information and reflash your bios.... so no trouble, like the dual bios, effective but not as charmy as a dual bios he he...

Wow that's pretty cool, too bad I can't find that board anywhere.

Anyone have a reason to why a lot of people here don't like the VH6-T?

I have a VH6-T I have been using for 10 months with celly 1.0A @ 1.4.... 100% stable, no problems, can overclock higher but have to move RAM to CAS 3.

Very good board. None of the onboard chips seem to get any more than a little warm, so I dont have any extra cooling on them. The BIOS has heaps of tweaks you can do as well.

There is a lot of room around the CPU socket, I am using a biggish HSF with no problems. There are a lot of caps, none have exploded (whew!)

I say go for it, it is a definite overclockers board. Also the Intel ones can only take 512 MB RAM, which is pretty sucky :p The VH6-T can take 1.5 GB :D

ShiFtY2001 said:
I have a VH6-T I have been using for 10 months with celly 1.0A @ 1.4.... 100% stable, no problems, can overclock higher but have to move RAM to CAS 3.

Very good board. None of the onboard chips seem to get any more than a little warm, so I dont have any extra cooling on them. The BIOS has heaps of tweaks you can do as well.

There is a lot of room around the CPU socket, I am using a biggish HSF with no problems. There are a lot of caps, none have exploded (whew!)

I say go for it, it is a definite overclockers board. Also the Intel ones can only take 512 MB RAM, which is pretty sucky :p The VH6-T can take 1.5 GB :D

Yeah, she is kind of a "matured" via chipset board... :)

Back