• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hi :) First Timer; would like some inputs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chrizws

Hi, first time overclocker here, and sorry mods if this is in the wrong forum, please move it as you wish.

I'm trying to go for a cost efficient setup so I can play around with it, since it is my first time overclocking. And please give me some inputs as to whether I should keep or dump some of em, any additional information would be helpful as well. :)

Oh, and sorry if I don't post a link with it since I'm not sure if it'll violate the forum's rules or not.

Aspire X-Dreamer II(Black) ATX Mid-Tower Case with 350W Power Supply, With Window, Model "ATXB4KLW-BK/350"

Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM

ASUS "A7V8X-X" KT400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton", 333 FSB, 512K Cache Processor - Retail

POWERCOLOR ATI RADEON 9200SE Video Card, 128MB DDR, 64-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "R92LE-C3S" -RETAIL

I think that's the utmost basics I'll be getting for now, and as for hard drives, sound cards, etc, I can manage those myself ;)

dicecca112

go for a mobile 2500+, I believe they are cheaper than the normal 2500. Plus you get a better oc. And get a better power supply, a little more money but it will save you money in the long run.

OP
C

chrizws

Ah, thanks for useful tip.

Any specific power supply you'd recommend?

And what about cooling fans? Any takes on that?

jamesvbon

I personally like antec fans. If you want somthign that really puts out id go for some panaflo's but they are loud as heck. Antecs on the other hand i have found put out alot of air and are decently quiet.

Lat

chrizws said:

the kt400 chipset is old, and you would probably be much much better off with a nforce2 mobo
i recommend the abit nf7-s

chrizws said:
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton", 333 FSB, 512K Cache Processor - Retail

like dicecca112 said, go for a mobile barton

chrizws said:
POWERCOLOR ATI RADEON 9200SE Video Card, 128MB DDR, 64-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "R92LE-C3S" -RETAIL

this has to be one of the worst video cards you could get :) honestly
look for a cheap 8500 or ti4200 or 9500 or 9500 pro or softmoddable 9500 or 9700 or 9700 pro or 9800 or 9800 pro (in order of worst to best)
or if you can afford it, an x800

oh, and welcome to the forums!

Last edited:

jamesvbon

i love my 9800 pro liek none other and i had a geforce ti back a while ago. i gotta say the ti series was realy realy realy good so if your short of cash i have to agree those are good

Mr.Radar

The best power supplies are Fortron, Sparkle and Antec. Sparkle PSUs are just rebranded Fortrons sold for a bit less. Here are the high points in Fortron's line:

FSP350-60BN -- 80mm fan (thermally controlled) 350 watt unit tested to provide 454 watts. I own one of these and it powers my system just fine (though when I had my CPU at 1.8 volts, 2442 MHz (222x11) and my video card OC'ed it made buzzing noises which indicated it was near overload) and if I have my fans adjusted right it never goes into high fan speed which means it very quiet. I don't think these are made any longer, however www.directron.com still has some in stock (that's where I got mine).

FSP350-60BT -- Like the above one except the fan in permenately stuck in high speed which makes it very loud (I like my computer silent, so "very loud" is subjective here).

FSP350-60PN -- 120mm thermally controlled fan 350 watt version tested to produce 412 watts (I think). It's suppost to be pretty quiet. It's internals aren't as good as the 80mm versions but it's still better than most of the junk out there.

FSP400-60GN -- Good model inbetween the FSP350's and the FSP530 (see below). IMHO I'd spend the extra $10 for the FSP530 but if you're tight on cash then this is a good one to get.

FSP530 -- Any of the FSP530 models are a good choice. These are some of the best PSUs on the market today. You can't go wrong with one. (IMHO the only better one is the PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 510 Deluxe.)

jamesvbon

you sure about sparkle.. ive been told they arent to great....taht they actualy sparkle somtimes :mad: like with flames...just somthign a tech(directron) told me once...thoguh i know how stupid some techs can be

OP
C

chrizws

Thanks so much!

All these informations were really useful.

Heh, it's not that I'm really short on cash. But this is my first ever built computer, and it is going to be OC'ed by me personally. So I'm going to do some crazy things to it, and I'm ready to handle what ever 'accidents' that's going to occur, but at a small price hopefully ;)

So I'd like to try to stay within a small budget, cause I'm really doing this all for fun (kinda like throwing money away... but hopefully in small amount, heh)

Drec

throwing money away? on what?...if anything ur saving money by overclocking :attn:

OP
C

chrizws

Whoo! Ok I think I finally compiled what I'm about to purchase.

Just to see if it's approvable ;)

Aspire X-Dreamer II(Black) ATX Mid-Tower Case with 350W Power Supply, With Window, Model "ATXB4KLW-BK/350"

CoolerMaster Blue 80mm Neon LED Fan, Model "TLF-R82" -RETAIL

Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM

Antec 430W Power Supply, Model "TRUE430" -RETAIL

AMD 45 Watt Mobile Athlon XP 2500+, 266 FSB, 512K Cache - OEM

CHAINTECH nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 64-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "A-FX20" -RETAIL

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0226" -OEM

SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model MPF920, OEM

LG Electronics Beige 52X CD-ROM, Model GCR-8523B (B), OEM

Anything I'm missing? (except Hard drive)

OP
C

chrizws

Yeah, I know... the mobo... I'm sticking to low price for now, and it adds up to about $500

dicecca112

well I would go for a n-force mobo with intergrated sound like this one
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-152-029&depa=1
or this
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-138-216&depa=1
or this
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-150-045&depa=1
or this
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-152-024&depa=1

and the video card, I have one and hate it, the performance is horrible. Go with at least this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-135-141&depa=1
I know it is more than the card you have listed but, I think its for the best. Or go with the ti4200, it gets a better 3dmark score than the 5200
or this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-136-139&depa=1

radium

Noooo!!! No 5200 for you! (See sig)

They really are bad cards. Go with at least a RADEON 9700 to X800, or if you're an nVidia fanboy, you can use the 5900, and the 5950.

I have the earlier version of that case, and it kicks ***. It's really sweet looking. One thing I would warn you about though. The case comes with two LED fans, one for the side, and one for the top.

The case's specs say that it supports 2 more 80 mm in the front, 2 more 80 mm in the back, or one 120mm in the back. There is actually only a drilled slot for a 120 mm, so unless you're ready, you're going to have to wrestle with your case out of the box. If you don't feel like doing that you can buy one of these. It's a really nice quiet high performance fan that has variable speeds, so you can adjust it if it's too loud. It pumps out a lot of air too. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-999-012&depa=0
Nice and cheap too.

Anyways, for the front panel. Installing fans are going to be a pain the tush in an x-Dreamer. Because the front face plate does not like to come off. You have to pretty much dissasemble your case if you want to install the 80 mm fans in the front too.

But don't let any of this bother you, it is just another challenge in modding and OC'ing. It's a nice case, and on this forums we want you to have nice components for good prices.

Welcome to the forums, and we hope you'll stick around :)

OP
C

chrizws

All the replies are greatly appreciated.

And about the case, I read 'almost' all of them came with 1x 120mm fan and a 120mm slot in the back, so I'm not worried about that, and can install my other two fans where-ever.

I'll make note to the changes of the cards, and one more thing, I'm glad I signed up with this forum ;) Everyone's been very nice and cooperative, in helping a n00b out.