• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High CPU Temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaredAF

Hey.

I just recently built a cpu and my running temp has increased buy not by much. After i first built it, it ran at 49C which i now found out is high, and now it tends to run at 51C idle, and when i play games it goes up to 60C. Now ive read i will experience some problems but i havent yet.

I dont know if this is a really safe method, mainly because of dust build up. But i put a good size fan next to my case and put it on 1/3 of its power and the CPU temp is falling. Is this safe?

Also in programs like CPUCool what do all three temps mean.
I figured the highest one was CPU temp.

Mr. Chambers

it would help immensly to know what your running in your computer... like what kinda of cpu... what your using for heatsink and fan.. if you have any case fans.. what you case is.. any other components, etc etc.. my guess would be that you're using the stock cooler that came with your processor.. in that case their all crap, go out and buy a new one... depending on which type of processor your running (amd or intel) just post another message in the cooling part of these boards, about good heatsink fan combos.. and you'll get some replies..

Wolfmist

What kind of Motherboard do you have?
I know for a fact that Asus motherboards give a reading that way higher than it really is.

LoRDhYpNOs

Registered
I was having a similar problem with my t-bird 1.2 OC'[email protected] just kinda spider-webbed an 80mm high output sunnon fan aiming right at my heatsink and cpu using tie-raps.The cheapest most effective solution i can think of.It dropped my temps so i never go over 44c under full load.

OP
J

JaredAF

Sorry should of told you.

I have an ASUS A7v266-E motherboard, standard fan that came with AMD 1800xp, 2 case fans in back. I have a volcano 7 but i need to get new compound for it.

Wolfmist

That explains A LOT. I happen to have the same exact motherboard, and the same exact problem. Mine reports temps in the 50's Celsius. Its just the motherboard saying a temp way higher than it actually is.

This guy had the same problem:

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79325

I also posted a thread a month ago with the same problem. I do have my CPU water cooled, so it cannot be as high as it is. I'm am almost 100% positive of this. I'm planning on getting a thermal probe to measure it.

Bantre

I run the same motherboard and with a ax-7 HSF.
One night I got curious and turned the heat off and opened a window , the case temp reported 18c off sensor on MB and 34C off cpu, 19c/37C load.
Room temp was 60F.
Now room temp 2 days later is 68F and it reports 26C idle 43C cpu. 28C/49C cpu.
After seeing these and using thermal probes located in case I have concluded that on my particular board MB sensor is 1C off, CPU 6C off.
Mileage may vary pending what heatsink/fan setup you have as it reads temps based off a calculation from underneath the chip.
Under load temps I am figuring same MB -2c CPU -7.5 c off asus sensor.( I have 3 probe temps around in case mostly all near vital MB areas and they are constantly 1-2c off).
Another odd thing that happened to me was my Asus Probe program no longer will go under 40C for cpu readings( just started doing this) while Bios is reporting 34-39C and MBM5 reports the exact same, when I run Asus Probe it just reads 40C if it is under 40C temps, is odd:).
If you do use a thermal probe, make sure you trim it back and the sleeve as well so that it does not interfere with the heatsink, the ax-7 REALLY clamps down good on the cpu so leaves very little clearence to work with.

Wolfmist

I use a maze 2 watercooling setup. Someone told me little while back that maybe the reason my temps are so high is because of the lack of airflow around the socket. Just a guess though.

Yodums

Lucifer, it's best if you keep the recommendations for later, he didn't give out no information yet and you just told him to go out and buy a heatsink for no reason as we found now that it is a mobo reporting too high. Sorry not to offend you just that it has a huge effect on what the members does as they come here for help. I use to do it, then it was stupid.

Jared:

Even if Asus reports 8 - 10 Celius higher, it does seem you've got your heatsink mount a little bad to be getting temperatures of 50. You should even out the airflow (At least one intake one exhaust, if you have too much exhaust no cool air is to come in so hot air still there). Take off your heatsink, clean the die/core of the CPU with a lint-free cloth and clean the heatsink. Apply the thinest layer into the CPU Die, and add some to the base of the heatsink and with a clear plastic bag, rub it (The thermal compound goes into the grinds of the HS to give off better performance). Then do a clean install (Meaning don't put it on the core first then move it around etc. It puts the thermal compound out of place so no contact.

I'm guessing if you did what I tell you, your looking at a good drop!

Yodums