• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High End P4 VS AMD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_KiD

I apologize for length of post but I thought it would be best to just get it all out at once..

Hello all I am posting to the list on a few comments reguarding the above topic. Right now I am running machine in my sig. I am not unhappy but in the eternal search for the better gaming machine I am looking to build bigger and better.

My questions are as follows

:1. IS a P4 533 fsb w/ 512 megs of Corsair Rambus 1066 going to out perform an Amd w/ 512 megs Corsair ddr 400?

:2 Is Serial ata any better than ata 133 ie Maxtor have also looked into WD with 8 mb cash will serial perform better than ata 133 since hd is still limited to pci buss of 133

Here's what i am looking at.

PENTIUM 4 2.53g 478 pin 533Mhz W/ GIGABYTE 8IHXP $405.21

CORSAIR 1066MHZ 256MB cas 2 NON ECC RAMBUS x 2 $320.00

Maxtor 7200rpm ata133 60gb x2 $200.00
Visiontek Geforce4 128mb ddr $150.00

total $1075.21

ATHLON 2400+ SOYO KT400 DRAGON ULTRA $354.60

CORSAIR 256MB DDR 400, PC 3200, 400MHZ CAS 2 x 2 $200

Maxtor 7200rpm ata133 60 x2 200.00

Visiontek Geforce4 128mb ddr 150.00

TOTAL $906.60

BaldHeadedDork

1) Yes. Even comparing the AMD's rated speed against the P4's actual speed, the Intel system will beat the Athlon rig by a pretty substantial margin. In fact, you can run a P4 on DDR (using an 845E or PE chipset motherboard) and still beat an Athlon with DDR400 in every benchmark I can think of.

The P4 also overclocks much better than the Athlon XP, too. I like AMD and want them to succeed, but its no contest for who makes the fastest setup.

2) Disclaimer: I lean towards conservative predictions on what new technology can do. Others might be more optomistic, and your mileage may vary.

I don't expect a lot from S-ATA. First, its at a point right now where USB was when it first came out on Win95 machines. There are boards with S-ATA ports. But native S-ATA hard drives are still at least a month away and no one is predicting when optical drives will switch.

You might see a slight increase in performance when running a hard drive benchmark. But I seriously doubt you will actually be able to notice the difference in an application because the bus speed is increased. The biggest restriction on sustained data transfer speeds are inside the hard drive, take a look at drive benchmarks and you'll notice that the maximum sustained data transfer rate is less than a third of the bus speed. S-ATA won't change that.

3) You didn't ask, but consider this a freebie bonus: Read carefully the posts on the Soyo file in the AMD Motherboard page. Soyo boards have the worst reputation for quality and reliability that I have seen. The boards look cool and have a ton of features, but before ordering make sure you fully understand what you might be getting into.

Good luck!

BHD

OP
Big_KiD

Big_KiD

Thanks for the comments.. I was curious about s ata and didn't really know. Thank you for sharing your opinion on it. As for soyo boards being junk.. come on there not that bad are they.. I have had 2 different dragon boards, the kt266 admittedly sukd i blame the chipset w/ it's usb and sound issues not the board. It seemed as though every one was having probs with that chipset. I know run the newer kt266+ chipset and like it.

One more thing I am interested in, what's better...

WD ATA 100 with 8MB cache or
Maxtor ATA 133 with 2MB cache?..

thanks for your comments..

chrismacan

BaldHeadedDork said:
1) Yes. Even comparing the AMD's rated speed against the P4's actual speed, the Intel system will beat the Athlon rig by a pretty substantial margin. In fact, you can run a P4 on DDR (using an 845E or PE chipset motherboard) and still beat an Athlon with DDR400 in every benchmark I can think of.

The P4 also overclocks much better than the Athlon XP, too. I like AMD and want them to succeed, but its no contest for who makes the fastest setup.

Good luck!

BHD

Depends on what you want to do with your rig...

For number crunching AMD owns INTEL...

My AMD XP1600+ (system 1) will outperform virtually all the P4's up to 2.5 Ghz... And for one heck of alot LESS money...

Intel's are not much better than AMD. If you use cheapo RAM with an Intel, like DDR or even worse SDRAM you are wasting alot of the P4's potential...

Dollar for dollar AMD is almost twice as good as Intel...There is no doubt in my mind. I sell computers for a living. The only customers that I recommend get a P4 are corporate clients who want an Intel for the name.

Gamers, IMO, should really buy an AMD and spend the extra dough on more RAM and a better graphics card...

Just my opinion. I don't know everything, but look at my sig to see my bias in favour of AMD machines.

For the HD, the WD with 8MB cache may be alot faster, but I prefer Maxtor for reliability. I have had a couple of problems with Western Digital drives. I always got a replacement, but they failed just a little too often for me. In 3 years I have had 3 WD deaths (all replaced by WD no charge) and 1 Maxtor (also replaced at no charge to me). I have purchased for myself only 4 WD drives but 12 Maxtors.

I agree that SATA is too new to be worthwhile, unless you want to spend BIG money on the latest stuff. IF that is the case you will want to get an 8X AGP card like the Radeon 9700. All the reviews I have read suggest that it blows the GeForce TI4600 out of the water on every benchmark...

Last edited: