• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High FSB Vs. High Multiplier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kilroy Was Here

Registered
Which is better? Right now my FSB is 210mhz and my multiplier is 14.5 (3.0Ghz). If I want to get any more speed I have to raise the FSB. Should I do that, or raise the FSB alot and lower the multiplier. The cpu is a AMD Athlon II x3 435. I might like to go to 3.5Ghz.

-Kilroy Was Here

Bobnova

In AMD cpus the FSB(actually HTref) has nothing to do with the speed of calculations, it's just a reference. As such, high multi is the way to go in most situations.
In the intel world, the FSB setting directly influences how much data can get to and from the CPU, but AMD uses hypertransport, which is a multiplier of the HTref speed.
As such, you can get the same HT speed with a wide variety of HTref speeds, including stock 200.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
Since you are using a Athlon II 435, you might find it easier to OC with a bit lower multi and a higher FSB. This allows you to balance the memory and the CPU-NB. Could you list your specs in your sig? This would help us figure out how to help you further.

BTW :welcome: to OCF! Stay, ask, and learn.