• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High polygon count?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eil Atan

What is the high polygon count and is mine too low? In 3dMarks2k1 I got 16.0 M/Triangles with 1 Light and 3.01 M/Triangles with 8 lights. What the heck is an M/Triangle? Educate me please...

Megatexels I believe, a way of measuring the video card's capability to render images (using tiny shapes).

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure it's not a misleading answer.

Hey I just noticed you have an A7M mobo, so do I. I compared my 3dmark score to that of a "slower" system which beat mine and I noticed that the only thing I really fell behind in was the high polygon count. Strange... I believe the slower system was a pentium 3 933 mhz system with a similar video card to mine (leadtek geforce 2 gts)..

I know the A7M is supposed to be a top performer so maybe we are doing something wrong with our mobos? I know that the southbridge on the A7M is via, so maybe we should install the 4 in 1 drivers and see what happens? Not likely to make much a difference as far as the AGP goes though,since thats on the northbridge I think... I may look around for a more current version of the AGP miniport driver as well. I have no idea what else could be going on, I certainly hope it is not just a slow board. I was told otherwise by quite a few people.

Here's my system and 3dmark2001 score:
AMD athlon tbird 1.33ghz w/ 266mhz fsb
Asus A7M266, running in "turbo" mode (havent messed with any other settings, except agp aperture - 128)
256 Megs micron pc2100 DDR SDRAM running fine at 2 x 2 x 2 :)
Leadtek Geforce 2 GTS 64mb card w/ 12.41 detonator drivers, core running at 220mhz and memory running at 366 mhz juusst fine..
(after turning details off and what not)
score: about 3500-3600
I really think it could be a little better, I'd expect the athlon 1.33 to push it up to just over 4000, wouldn't you think?

Well the drivers provided on the Asus web site are older than the ones I have on the driver CD..oh well...and it doesn't look like they want you to use the via 4in1 drivers...The CD has 3in1 drivers though.

Oh, I had nearly identical scores for the high polygon score.. tells you the motherboard is bottlenecking...

Macel (Jul 10, 2001 11:08 p.m.):
Hey I just noticed you have an A7M mobo, so do I. I compared my 3dmark score to that of a "slower" system which beat mine and I noticed that the only thing I really fell behind in was the high polygon count. Strange... I believe the slower system was a pentium 3 933 mhz system with a similar video card to mine (leadtek geforce 2 gts)..

I know the A7M is supposed to be a top performer so maybe we are doing something wrong with our mobos? I know that the southbridge on the A7M is via, so maybe we should install the 4 in 1 drivers and see what happens? Not likely to make much a difference as far as the AGP goes though,since thats on the northbridge I think... I may look around for a more current version of the AGP miniport driver as well. I have no idea what else could be going on, I certainly hope it is not just a slow board. I was told otherwise by quite a few people.

Here's my system and 3dmark2001 score:
AMD athlon tbird 1.33ghz w/ 266mhz fsb
Asus A7M266, running in "turbo" mode (havent messed with any other settings, except agp aperture - 128)
256 Megs micron pc2100 DDR SDRAM running fine at 2 x 2 x 2 :)
Leadtek Geforce 2 GTS 64mb card w/ 12.41 detonator drivers, core running at 220mhz and memory running at 366 mhz juusst fine..
(after turning details off and what not)
score: about 3500-3600
I really think it could be a little better, I'd expect the athlon 1.33 to push it up to just over 4000, wouldn't you think?

Hmm... I don't know what to do about the motherboard thing. I think I have all of the latest drivers and stuff. Your 3Dmarks score seems a little low to me though. I think you should have a better score with a GeForce 2 GTS. I get 5588 3D marks on my GeForce 3, and I am pretty sure that my score is lower than it should be. My score is low compared to some of the other guys running similar systems. I should be able to peak just over 6000, and you should be able to get over 4000. So maybe it is a motherboard thing. What drivers are you using for your card?

I think Im going to return this mobo and have em put something else in if I can, even if it's a SDR board...something is wrong with this one..

the a7m motherboard is a good mobo. Your score may end up dropping because of switching to SDRAM instead of DDR. have you tried updating to the 12.90 drivers? Also, make sure you have the AGP patch from AMD. That made a big difference for me. you can get it below.

You wan tthe AGP drivers...

So your score has improved after getting the 4.8 miniport drivers? What is your high polygon count now?
I've got DDR memory and have the 4.8 miniport drivers installed.....

Oh, and where can I get the 12.90 drivers? I don't see them listed on the nvidia page?
What bios revision are you running? I am using 261004a (it says it near the top of the screen every time you first start up)

Whats the brand name of the ram in your system? is it micron? I called the asus tech support and they said that some name brands dont work well in the a7m266 motherboards...micron being one in particular. They said that mushkin, corsair micro, and unijen are all supported brands...

I'm only getting 5.0 MTriangles/second. Is that bad? My score is 3124 with a Radeon LE with registry tweak at 195/195. Here's the link. I've got a 1000mhz t-bird not overclocked.

Macel (Jul 11, 2001 11:01 a.m.):
Whats the brand name of the ram in your system? is it micron? I called the asus tech support and they said that some name brands dont work well in the a7m266 motherboards...micron being one in particular. They said that mushkin, corsair micro, and unijen are all supported brands...

i am pretty sure that I am using samsung memory... it might be micron, i'll have to check.. but i am pretty sure that it is samsung... that sucks, i didn't know that about the a7m, that it didn't work well with all ram... :eek:

Superman53142 (Jul 11, 2001 11:26 a.m.):
I'm only getting 5.0 MTriangles/second. Is that bad? My score is 3124 with a Radeon LE with registry tweak at 195/195. Here's the link. I've got a 1000mhz t-bird not overclocked.

your score seems a little low, but i'm not too familiar with the radeon LE... but its certainly not a bad score for that card... your m/triangles might be a little low, because i know mine aren't what they should be... gotta tweak this GF3 a little more...

yeah i am pretty sure that the processor difference makes a big difference in 3dMarks...

Macel (Jul 11, 2001 08:52 a.m.):
Oh, and where can I get the 12.90 drivers? I don't see them listed on the nvidia page?
What bios revision are you running? I am using 261004a (it says it near the top of the screen every time you first start up)
you can get the 12.90 drivers

here

Back