• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High restriction vs low restriction? Fan speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

footbag

Registered
As I research for a WC setup, I keep coming across the term restriction and certain references to blocks or rads operating better with certain restrictive conditions. Should I be looking to "match" a system or am I over-analyzing? Is one better then the other?

Also, which would be better a rad optimized for high speed fans or lower speed?

Conumdrum

Yep, over doing the analizing somewhat. There are some rads that have high fins per inch, restricting airflow. But they resond very well to high speed/pressure fans. Meaning LOUD!! You buy a BIX rad and run $30 each fan will save you case space, at the expense of your sanity....

The newer rads have lower FPI and respond well to medium fans and the cooling curve levels out when you add HIGH fans to try to compensate for 'not enuff rad to start with'.

There is also water flow rates. Another issue. You have too many blocks, rads, 90 deg bends and your flow rate can impact the cooling ability of your especially CPU block.

A good pump and keeping the loop smart means it's not an issue.

I'd rather see over analizing than a clueless person.

So!!! Welcome to OC Forums. You'll be a great fit.

Look at the guides etc here and find Hokies wonderful guide in my guide as a link.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253958-29-watercooling-guide

OP
footbag

footbag

Registered
Thanks for the quick info. I've been reading through the guides, they've been very helpful.