• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High Temp HD's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

I have posted on this subject before but felt there was no adequate solution/explanation for the high temps on one of my Hard drives.

The 2 temps on my drives are 37c/67c. It seems to me that 67c is very hot and my HD should be melted by now...I have not used another prog to measure the temps to verify if they are accurate or not(using speed fan).
In the mean time I have repositioned my drives to improve air flow and added 2 small fans to improve cooling. The temp diff is about 5c.
Any ideas/suggestins/explanations why my one hard drive is so hot?:mad:
Both are maxtor 30g.

PS..they both feel about the same temp when i touch them...I figure at 67c I would burn myself on one of them!:eek: Is it possible that the temp sensor is reading too high?

UnWishedLegacy

Go here Hddtemperature. And get the trial (basicly a compatiblity test)- then, IF it's compatible then get the normal version (I think you may need to pay for the full version but I think there's an old version available to download as well.

I assume your using both drives with your XP1600, on my Via Epia board I was getting readings of 60C+, turns out that the drive doesn't support Temp monitoring.

I know some boards aren't very reliable with temp readings- both on the boards themselfs OR translating temp info from other appliances. My advice would to get a HD cooler with a built-in Temp probe- on my drive (it has the PCB exposed) there's a chip marked 'WinBond'- these are normaly temp sensors but put your temp probe on the hottest chip (in my case it's the large one nearest the power connection).

larrymoencurly

I measured some 7200 RPM HDs at 46-51C with a thermometer when they had been running DFT for several hours in 26C surrounding air. They were upright, but they would have probably run 2-3C hotter if they had been horizontal with a few inches of clearance beneath them.