• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High temperature help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jletts

Hi everyone,
I have been experiencing high temperatures on my CPU recently and I think it is due to my voltage being very high, it is currently 1.760 and I do not know how to change it. I have watched multiple videos of the same motherboard and BIOS as mine but the option to change voltage in my own personal BIOS is just not there. My motherboard is a MSI H81 P33 which I have attached photos of and I have also attached photos of my BIOS, and multiple screens in my BIOS and also a picture of my actual PC inside. I have checked my BIOS for update and it is all up to date, I have also updated everything else I could possibly think of.
If anyone knows how to change the voltage, it would be greatly appreciated and I would be rid of this problem.
I have also attached a screenshot of my CPUz statistics and CoreTemp.
Thank you for reading.
http://imgur.com/a/F4Vu5
http://imgur.com/a/jvt7J
http://imgur.com/a/Hb4YB
http://imgur.com/a/Ba5ER
http://imgur.com/a/xzQMR
http://imgur.com/a/hXvzE
http://imgur.com/a/qqZq8

demien88

Its probably in CPU features there MUST be vcore setting to change. Do you experience lock ups, crashing or anything similar? Thats just way too high I am surprised that it even boots up like that... Open every single option with > to drop down menu it should be hiding somewhere

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Something isnt mounted right id guess.. cant do imgur links on my phone easily. Id reset bios to default and try remounting cooler.. did tame plastic off? Add thermal paste??? Some basics...

OP
J

Jletts

Its probably in CPU features there MUST be vcore setting to change. Do you experience lock ups, crashing or anything similar? Thats just way too high I am surprised that it even boots up like that... Open every single option with > to drop down menu it should be hiding somewhere

Hi I have looked everywhere, including the CPU features, no where to change voltage

- - - Updated - - -

Something isnt mounted right id guess.. cant do imgur links on my phone easily. Id reset bios to default and try remounting cooler.. did tame plastic off? Add thermal paste??? Some basics...

I will try resetting my BIOS now.

OP
J

Jletts

Hi,
I reset my BIOS, still no setting to change voltage, here is a photo of my CPU features
cpu features.jpg

I really don't know what else to do, I've looked everywhere in my BIOS, I've reset my BIOS I have installed the latest software and updates.
AHHHH this is so frustrating :D
And I experience occasional lag between opening files and whatnot which I shouldn't with a custom built pc. No crashes though.

trents

You say these high temps are something you have been experiencing "lately." So that wasn't always the case on this same system? Have you made any changes recently to the system?

Please don't link images. Crop and capture them with Windows Sniping Tool and then attach them directly to your posts with the Go Advanced button found at the bottom right corner of any new post window.

I have used that same motherboard several times. As I recall, there is not an option to manually change the vcore. When you are overclocking it just raises the vcore automatically. You have no manual control over that parameter. And even though you don't have an overclockable CPU I would assume it works the same way. The board will automatically choose the appropriate vcore.

I would certainly reflash the bios. That's different than resetting it. If that doesn't work I would conclude that some voltage regulation component on the motherboard has failed.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jletts

Voltage problem on new CPU

Hi everyone, FIRST OF ALL I KNOW THIS IS A LOT TO READ, BUT I AM DESPERATE FOR HELP.
I have had a lot of problems while upgrading my current CPU and I am in a situation now that has me stumped. I will try to give as much detail as I can right now.
First things first, I previously had an Intel Pentium G3258 which was unlocked. My motherboard is a H81M-P33 with the latest BIOS. Now this processor was running at very high voltages which I never knew until I started to learn more about overclocking. My voltage was set to 1.728 which was the auto set by my motherboard (BIOS). I changed these values to 1.2v and kept everything else the same. Now, I kept going like this for a while but as I am a gamer, I wanted to upgrade to a more powerful CPU. I researched it and asked a few questions on a forum like this one. I was suggested the Intel i5 4570 by a few people as it is compatible with my current motherboard (1150) and not too overpowered for the rest of my build. I purchased this CPU and I was quite excited to get it going. I took my old CPU out, put thermal paste of my i5, put it in, and off I went.
This is where the problem started. I had a look at CPUZ and realised that my CPU voltage was back to 1.728 which was my voltage before I adjusted it on my Pentium. I found this odd and alarming as I didn't want to damage my new CPU. I then went to my BIOS and was alarmed when I went into the overclocking section and the option to change core voltage had disappeared. I didn't know why at first but I researched it and now I understand that my new CPU is locked (i5 4570) and my old CPU (pentium g3258) is unlocked. This meant that my BIOS would apply the auto settings for clock speeds and voltages to my new CPU without me being able to control this. This means that my BIOS is setting my i5 to a voltage of 1.728 because that's what is 'auto'. At that point I was starting to get annoyed and started to experiment and trial and error a few things. First I updated my BIOS, I updated all my drivers and I updated everything. This still did not fix the problem of my BIOS setting my auto voltage to 1.7. I then reset my CMOS (restored my BIOS to default settings) by shorting the pins on my mobo while it was off. After these things I tried again, still auto voltage of 1.7. At this point I was getting very frustrated. I had a new idea, I would put my g3258 in and set my voltage and then save it as an overclocking profile. I then put my i5 in and loaded the overclocking profile. Then I tried to exit the BIOS and start the computer. I was greeted with a lovely loop of 'your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.' The reason why was 'whea_uncorrectable_error'. I googled this and found that this error may be due to a overclocked CPU. This really did push me over breaking point and I am now very frustrated with this whole situation.
So, this is where I need the rest of the genius computer society, please, please anything you can think of to fix this problem, help me!
Thank you so much for reading, if you need further images of anything I will happily add them, just leave a comment, thanks!

trents

Suggestion: Break the "run on" paragraph into smaller ones.

Your motherboard should not be assigning a 1.728 vcore value to any, I repeat, any CPU on Auto. Something is wrong with the motherboard. Most modern motherboards won't even let you set that amount manually I don't think. It sounds like the voltage regulation component is faulty.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
yea this is a motherboard issue, locked or unlocked has nothing to do with voltages.
I have a 4570s and and i can set the voltage to whatever i like.
and it's a good choice, great cpu for me.

OP
J

Jletts

Suggestion: Break the "run on" paragraph into smaller ones.

Your motherboard should not be assigning a 1.728 vcore value to any, I repeat, any CPU on Auto. Something is wrong with the motherboard. Most modern motherboards won't even let you set that amount manually I don't think. It sounds like the voltage regulation component is faulty.

Hi, thanks for your message, I am pretty sure my warranty is finished for the mobo, can you suggest a similar motherboard with a 1150 socket that will have a nice performance? (my motherboard now is MSI H81m-P33).

- - - Updated - - -

yea this is a motherboard issue, locked or unlocked has nothing to do with voltages.
I have a 4570s and and i can set the voltage to whatever i like.
and it's a good choice, great cpu for me.

Thank you for the message, appreciate it :)

demien88

Wait have you reseted OC to defaults before you changed to i5? I think motherboard might have brain fart because of past OC since chip is way different.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Merged duplicate threads. Stick to one thread on the same subject.

Also, you asked this at TPU as well and there is a huge thread of suggestions there....did you follow them? Maybe it wasnt you..lol!

Anyway, did you flash the bios again?