• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High temperatures +70C on IDLE i7 8700k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eufilip3

Hello . I bought a pc from someone and he gave me that liquid cooler it's a Kelvin S24 from Fractal Design. because it has been his previous one and he doesn't use it anymore. So I sold it to a friend and now he's having 74 C on IDLE and 86 while gaming . I assemble it for him . And i think i did it good. I read the manual " https://support.fractal-design.com/support/solutions/articles/4000054170-kelvin-s24-product-manual " for a intel 8700k cpu and i did like it's saying there.

Now , from what i know from the last owner , is that he didn't add more distillated water after like 1-2 years of use. Maybe that should be the problem? Should i add more distilled water , and how do i do it? i know it has a screw for an allen key on the pump. I think that's where i should add it. And how do i know how much i should add?

He hasn't a great case , so i could only put the radiator to the top of the case and unfortunatly the fans are above the radiator pulling air through the radiator into the case.I know it's a little bad , from what i know the fans need to be below the radiator pulling air out. But i didn't think that would that be that bad to have 70+c on idle. Could that be a problem?

I think he has only one fan pulling the air out and 3 pulling air in ( 2 from the radiator ) . let me do a scheme for you.

Please , help me with this guys , if you need any information just ask.

MN.PNG

Those temps are way too high for the CPU to be idle. It won't make a lot of difference in temps if the fans are pulling air in, or pushing air out. Maybe just a few degrees. The biggest impact to temperatures will be the TIM application. Are you sure you applied the TIM properly, and with the correct amount?

EDIT: Yes, you should completely replace the Distilled water in the cooler. Especially if it's two years old.

Those temps are way too high for the CPU to be idle. It won't make a lot of difference in temps if the fans are pulling air in, or pushing air out. Maybe just a few degrees. The biggest impact to temperatures will be the TIM application. Are you sure you applied the TIM properly, and with the correct amount?

EDIT: Yes, you should completely replace the Distilled water in the cooler. Especially if it's two years old.

I applied just like a little grain of rice . In 3 days i go again to my friend to change the distilled water. So how should i apply the TIM to be sure it's making a great contact with the CPU .
Also do you know how can i see if the pump is working ? From what i know , it was making some noise so i think it's working . But how can i see the RPM in Bios for a gigabyte mb?

What is the MB model number?

When you take the cooler off look at the thermal paste. It should cover the CPU IHS completely with little to no extra running off the side. Some is OK, but you don't want a lot of run off.

Here's a video of different techniques and he proves method isn't all that important, quantity is. FWIW I use the small pea method. (Skip to 7:30 for results if you're in a hurry)

What is the MB model number?

When you take the cooler off look at the thermal paste. It should cover the CPU IHS completely with little to no extra running off the side. Some is OK, but you don't want a lot of run off.

Here's a video of different techniques and he proves method isn't all that important, quantity is. FWIW I use the small pea method. (Skip to 7:30 for results if you're in a hurry)

Thanks for the video. I will watch it.
BTW the MB is MPG Z390 Gaming Plus . This one : "https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z390-GAMING-PLUS"

Well, that's an MSI board not Gigabyte lol. Anyhow, if the pump is plugged into the pump_fan1 connector it should read the RPM's. You may need to enable AIO pump in the BIOS.

Capture.JPG

Well, that's an MSI board not Gigabyte lol. Anyhow, if the pump is plugged into the pump_fan1 connector it should read the RPM's. You may need to enable AIO pump in the BIOS.

View attachment 203325

Oh sorryy :))) i first thought it was a gigabyte but anyway . I don't remember where i connect it , but if i didn't connect it to PUMP by mistake , do you think it could make the pump slower or something bad could happen?

If I'm reading the FD website correctly then the pump is not PWM controlled, it's voltage controlled (3-pin). What this means to you is if the fan header that it is connected to is not set in bios to run at full speed then the pump will run slower. This would only be an issue if the speed is set to low for the pump to start or set to low for the pump to push about 1 gallon/min. (Note this is not a requirement but a general guideline of optimal flow).

I would set it to full speed in the bios (which ever header you connect it to) and if the pump is too loud back it off until it's not loud. otherwise let 'er run full out.

EDIT: you'll still want to replace the distilled water and check you TIM.

If I'm reading the FD website correctly then the pump is not PWM controlled, it's voltage controlled (3-pin). What this means to you is if the fan header that it is connected to is not set in bios to run at full speed then the pump will run slower. This would only be an issue if the speed is set to low for the pump to start or set to low for the pump to push about 1 gallon/min. (Note this is not a requirement but a general guideline of optimal flow).

I would set it to full speed in the bios (which ever header you connect it to) and if the pump is too loud back it off until it's not loud. otherwise let 'er run full out.

EDIT: you'll still want to replace the distilled water and check you TIM.

Thank you for the information. I will update here in a few days when i go to my friend's home. In case , i do all this stuff , i put water , i replace TIM , i put full speed on pump and the temp is still high , what do you suggest me to do ? Or what problem do you think it is?
Also , i know when i powered on his pc , the pump was making a little high noise , like a "brrrr" . But do you think the noise is a good thing or a bad thing for the pump?

If it's dry - very very bad. Pumps generally make a low "wrrrrr" sound but I'm not familiar with that brand.

If the pump was bad you would be maxing out Temps at load.

What are you using to measure Temps with?

If it's dry - very very bad. Pumps generally make a low "wrrrrr" sound but I'm not familiar with that brand.

If the pump was bad you would be maxing out Temps at load.

What are you using to measure Temps with?

From what i remember i shaked the radiator and i was hearing a bit of water in there , on another forum a guy said that it should be full , and i shoudn't hear much when i shake it , that's why i'm afraid that the water could fix it. But also i'm afraid what would happen if the water is not going to help it.
My friend said he doesn't want the coolest pc ever, but to have max 50 IDLE and 70-75 on Load would be alright for him.
In a few days like i said , he brought a new case , so that's when i'm going to clean and see what to do . Also making a better air flow.

About the temperatures :
My friend actually first time used Speedfan , i thought it was a good idea so he can change the fans a bit if it was too hot , but unfortunatly the app doesn't recognize his fans (Don't know why)
And then he used AIDA64 .
While he had the screensharing (On discord) on and Forza Horizon 4 opened (which is a high demanding game) he had like 86-87C. (i suppose this was a good load at the time , i didn't want to risk it for a 100% load on AIDA64 because it could rise over 90 which from i heard from there it's starting to go bad)
After he closed FH4 it's going down to like around ~80 C
And without Screensharing he has like ~72C.
I think he's running IDLE on around 70-75 degress , which is pretty high...

EDIT : Also do you think if he's running for example 75 C while gaming , could it reduce the CPU's lifespan?
Edit2: If for example i reduce his stock CPU V with a little amount like 0.005 do you think it would make any difference?
Edit3: How much distilled water should i add in? He said full , like entirely full radiator + the 2 cords tubes until i reach the hole from where i put water , which in my opinion is strange , how would the water move if the all system is full? Maybe he wanted to say to fill up the radiator.
Sorry to ask a lot of questions but i just want to be sure in what i'm doing.

Last edited:
That's OK. Don't feel bad for asking questions. That's what this place is all about. There's no judgement here either. We're all learning.

For monitoring Temps I like the latest HWMonitor(free) from CPUID. Speed fan is an incredibly out dated and obsolete program. I wouldn't use that anymore.

Yes you want to keep your Temps within the low 90s but for short stress testing it won't hurt the CPU. They all have a built in throttle to cool themselves and also a thermal Shutdown point too (assuming you didn't disable it in the BIOS).

You can run that cpu into the 80-90s 24/7 and it's not supposed to affect its lifespan. With that said I like to keep mine in the mid 70s. I've only had 2 cpus ever die on me and both were in very extreme conditions. (majorly overvolted) TL;DR 75° is safe for 24/7.

Fill that cooler until she can't take anymore. Air is bad. If you can eliminate every last bubble than that's good.

Sorry my answers are so short. It's getting late and I gotta get up early. Gnight

That's OK. Don't feel bad for asking questions. That's what this place is all about. There's no judgement here either. We're all learning.

For monitoring Temps I like the latest HWMonitor(free) from CPUID. Speed fan is an incredibly out dated and obsolete program. I wouldn't use that anymore.

Yes you want to keep your Temps within the low 90s but for short stress testing it won't hurt the CPU. They all have a built in throttle to cool themselves and also a thermal Shutdown point too (assuming you didn't disable it in the BIOS).

You can run that cpu into the 80-90s 24/7 and it's not supposed to affect its lifespan. With that said I like to keep mine in the mid 70s. I've only had 2 cpus ever die on me and both were in very extreme conditions. (majorly overvolted) TL;DR 75° is safe for 24/7.

Fill that cooler until she can't take anymore. Air is bad. If you can eliminate every last bubble than that's good.

Sorry my answers are so short. It's getting late and I gotta get up early. Gnight

No problem man , take how much time you want to answer.
So , i just fill it until is entirely full .Also I've seen some guys on youtube putting a little of distilled water and shaking the radiator and when they get the water out it has little bits of black stuff. But they had a custom loop with transparent tubes. So i suppose if i have a liquid cooler it doesn't matter because i don't see the water.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's called the radiator dance. It's primarily for newer components to clean out any debris left from the manufacturing process. It certainly wouldn't hurt to do the dance with an older cooler. Especially one that was acquired used.

How much distilled water do you think i will need to fill the radiator and doing the radiator dance in total? *In liters if you can*

Probably less than 1. I usually just grab a 3.785412 liter jug for $2US and it lasts quite a while.

Okey i understand.Thank you :D
I will come with some updates in the near future

you probably should mix some kind of biocide with the distilled to avoid anything gunking up the rad/pump. a cheap but good option is swiftechs hydrx or petras pt nuke phn biocide, both are usually $3-$5. make sure you mix them properly for the best results.
swiftech
petras

To clean the radiator or any loop part you don't need distilled. Just water will do fine. Distilled is for when you fill the loop.

Ohh BTW, I'm the one who coined the radiator dance about 10 years ago, at least on this forum.

Rad prep:: One of the most missed things. Boil sink water, let cool 5 min. Pour into rad filling it up, let sit 10 min. Drain 1/2 water or so, shake till your arms hurt, 3-4 min like a crazy man. Drain into a clear container. Do the rad dance again and again till the water from the rad is clear and no gunk once the water settles. Then do it two more times. NOW and only now is your rad 90% clean. No worries, the last 10% will come out in the next year or two when you redo your loop for maintenance. Oh and post a vid of ya dancin, be a fun thing to see. My wife asked me what the hell was I doing.........

https://www.overclockers.com/forums...ission-review-please?highlight=radiator+dance

To clean the radiator or any loop part you don't need distilled. Just water will do fine. Distilled is for when you fill the loop.

Ohh BTW, I'm the one who coined the radiator dance about 10 years ago, at least on this forum.

Rad prep:: One of the most missed things. Boil sink water, let cool 5 min. Pour into rad filling it up, let sit 10 min. Drain 1/2 water or so, shake till your arms hurt, 3-4 min like a crazy man. Drain into a clear container. Do the rad dance again and again till the water from the rad is clear and no gunk once the water settles. Then do it two more times. NOW and only now is your rad 90% clean. No worries, the last 10% will come out in the next year or two when you redo your loop for maintenance. Oh and post a vid of ya dancin, be a fun thing to see. My wife asked me what the hell was I doing.........

https://www.overclockers.com/forums...ission-review-please?highlight=radiator+dance

Never saw the need to do that, IMO, it is absolutely not necessary!

I just install fittings on the rad and hook vinyl tubing with a garden hose adapter so it can be hooked to my outside water line, I run house pressure water through the rad alternating the flow and pressure through the rad numerous times, until the flow is clear, Wallah Done!

No dancing required, it's over before you even get your water boiled.

Back