• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

high temps on stress, normal without it on 12700K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cizar39

Registered
Hello,
Just picked up a 12700k today with MSI’s Z690-P Pro board. I purchased a CoolerMaster ML240L v2 AIO to cool it. Question is: both Prime small ffts and Cinebench took temps in one of the cores to 100 C, but gaming (Vanguard, CyberPunk) never touched more than early 60s (with some cut scenes pushing early 70s).
Should I be worried about the stress test best when gaming seems to be great? I have also heard of undervolting slightly. Is there a guide or how would I go about that?
Or should I be reseating the cooler and trying to paste it differently? I used the one dollop method in the middle of the chip before putting the cooler on and tightening it down.
Thanks!

12700K and a 2x120mm AIO, that sounds about right to me...

These BIOS' at stock, tend to use more voltage than needed, for sure. You can probably get away with a negative offset of some sort which would help on those stress tests.

Undervolting is like overclocking, but you're lowering the voltage and not touching clock speed.... you simply need to lower it a bit (maybe -0.05V to start) and test. If it's stable and temps are lower, that's successful. What you can lower it to depends on your chip and testing.

Stress test temps are usually higher than load temps so unless you start to see those temps in other situations you are probably fine. That said, I personally would do a 3x120 if it was me, if nothing else for the quieter fan operation while under load. Before going that route I would try to reseat the cooler because I generally find bad contact when my temps are fine at stock speeds but skyrocket when under load. If that doesn't fix it then go for the bigger cooler.

12700K and a 2x120mm AIO, that sounds about right to me...

These BIOS' at stock, tend to use more voltage than needed, for sure. You can probably get away with a negative offset of some sort which would help on those stress tests.

Undervolting is like overclocking, but you're lowering the voltage and not touching clock speed.... you simply need to lower it a bit (maybe -0.05V to start) and test. If it's stable and temps are lower, that's successful. What you can lower it to depends on your chip and testing.

Thanks for this.
I changed it to offset mode in the bios and changed the figure to 0.050, as mentioned. Most cores are now in the mid-90s after a few minutes of Cinebench. Should I lower it further? And how far is too far when it comes to sacrificing performance?

I also have a 12700kf under r23 test I had an all auto volt control of 1.235 vcore and package temp was at 81c max. With noctua d15. Score was like 22550. I just undervolted it -0.050mv in bios. only thing I touched…rest auto and package temp dropped to 76-77c and total watts dropped from 175w down to 159-160w according to hwinfo. I never went further. Weird thing was score was higher at 22930 and 22875 back to back tests. Everything works good on my day to day programs so I just left it.

I'm not an expert on how Intel CPUs boost, but I would assume that by decreasing power consumption and temperature, the CPU was allowed to boost higher and provided a better score.

Back