• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MODdaBOX

ok i just upgrade my comp i had a 2.6c hyperx pc-3200 ram and a cheap cheiftec psu. i upgraded to a 3.2e corsair pc-4000 and forton 530watt psu. im running a abit ic7 max3 mobo. i try to boot my comp and its beeps like high pitch and it hurts my ears. it said you have changed the cpu press F1 so i did it doesent stop beeping. i figure i need to update the bios because the old bios doesent support prescott. so i take out the 3.2 and put in my 2.6 to update the bios. when i start the program to update the bios (flashmenu) HWdoctor says high votage on 3.2v and 5v rails for like 2 sec then it stops. when i press update all of them say high voltage and its beeping kind of like a police siren then in the middle of flashing HWdoctor shuts down windows??? I dont get it ??? i was in aim and IE and nothing was happening but when i go in flash menu evry thing went crazy? is this the psu or something else? the psu has over voltage protection according to newegg? what should i do?

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
Thats really wierd. I have never seen that before. I guess, if I were you is put your old PSU in, and boot up with the new CPU. If it works, RMA that other power supply.

OP
MODdaBOX

MODdaBOX

i put in my old psu its booting fine with no high voltage things. does that mean i got a bad psu?

Last edited:

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
MODdaBOX said:
i put in my old psu its booting fine with no high voltage things. does that mean i got a bad psu?

That would be my guess you could take a wire and jump pins 14 and 15 together on your PSU to jumpstart it and then check the 3.3 and 5VDC voltages on the ATX connector with a meter and you would know for sure.