• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

higher PSU wattage = hotter CPU temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nut581

me here ..

I used to put my rig on Senfu overclocking house (the one that was once reviewed on overclockers.com), w/ a 300W PSU, ran Athlon 1800+ not overclocked (using retail fan) with no problem ...
Then yesterday I bought a new case w/ 450W PSU in it .. installed everything and guess what .... Windows XP restarted itself over and over again ... WTF!!! ...
Thought it was the PSU problem (defective) ... so I used my old 300W PSU back w/ the new case ... and the problem persisted :( .. XP kept restarting itself, but it took longer time before it did it .. so obviously it wasn't the new PSU ...

I let the side panel opened and put a very large fan blowing cool air to the mobo (MSI KT3 Ultra), and i could only run this supposedly 1800+ CPU at 1.15Ghz ... arghhh .... major slowdown here :( ....

What do u guys think?? was the higher PSU wattage related w/ increasing CPU temperature? or was it something else?

My rig:
MSI KT3 Ultra
Athlon XP 1800+
GeForce4 TI4200 128Mb
512 PC2100 DDR-Ram
27GB Maxtor 5400RPM
Lite-On 32x12x40 CD-RW

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
My guess is that the psu you had before had better airflow or put off less heat than the new one.
The new power supply would raise case temperatuers and therefore cpu temperatures.

RedDeathDrinker

Senior Aircraftsman IRL
Firstly, welcome to the forum....:)

What heatsink are you using on it? If you have such severe overheating problems, it's highly likely your heatsink isn't seated properly.

The PSU will deliver (via your motherboard) 1.75V to your CPU core as standard. Most mobo's will permit up to 1.85V, some even more.....

Check your BIOS settings carefully, and reseat your heatsink......

stool

Welcome to the forums.
You might also want to use a good thermal interface(Artic Silver-type), and consider replacing the stock HSF with a higher quality type.

OP
nut581

nut581

Thx for the welcoming guys :) .. i've actually been an active reader of this forum for years .. hmm .. around 2 :) ...

I use CoolerMaster DP5-6I31C-A1 .. hehe, it was only 5 [email protected] newegg when I got it (...ops, still does), but i don't overclock my 1800+; so shouldn't it be okay?? Or should I get a better fan?? and I put arctic silver for the heat transfer already ..

the new PSU is Ryhcon 450W, UL Pentium 4 compatible (that's what's written on the sticker), while the old was the one that came with Fong Kai 603 case (this one's [email protected]). following the 1st reply, I remove the new PSU from the case, and put it above the case (exact same position where I ran the old PSU and it worked fine), but it didn't make any difference :( ...

This morning I could just tried to run the machine on the new PSU w/ underclocking the [email protected] .. it worked :mad: ... temperature 36' celcius .. then tried to restore the clock to 133x11.5 = 1533 (1800+) w/ 1.75Vcore .. guess what .. it booted flawlessly to XP for one time .... less than 1 min. in XP, the PC restarted itself again .. and then Blue screens kept appearing .. error this .. error that .. uargghhhh ....

any idea? defective PSU?

ohh, thx for the replies guys ..