• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Highpoint raid question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tcl

I am new to this raid thing (actually, my raid hardware is only on its way) and have a basic question.

I know i can do this with the software raid in w2k but can the following be done with integated highpoint controllers:

Over two 40GB disks have one 60GB raid0 stripe and with the remainng space on each harddrive have have a 10GB non-raid partition for a total of three logical drives? This would be to make some temporary back-up space, the idea being that the two 10gb partitions would contain redundant information which would be a backup of data in the raid partition. I am asuing that if one disk did fail, that even though the raid would be broken the non-raid (backup) partition would be accesible. Is this thinking correct?

thanks all!

Ice_Gargoylle

heres what i think.

I dont think it is possible for the fact that urcontroller sets the raid0 up with the disks, not the partitions. U can set up different partitions on that array, but not mirror anything for backup. This is becuase the system sees them as 1 drive always.

If u are looking to backup your raid0, then u wud have to get 2 more disks to mirror the other 2 in raid0. raid0+1.

i have read of a way to "see" the drives seperately, but its in dos i think. U'd be better off just gettn a small hd and putting it on a ide channel and backing stuff up to it. Or u cud just buy 2 small drives for the raid0, just for the programs, and buy a big drive for the ide channel to save everything. Basically just using the raid0 for loading and running apps.

OP
T

tcl

Thanks for the input.
I'm not trying to accomplish real-time redundancy or anything. My thought was to set up a system where, when the system was idle, it would make a copy to each of the drives just to increase the amount of comfortable time between cd backups. you're right in that i could do the same thing with an old ide drive... but i plan on watercooling them and don't want to add a third. oh well.

Ice_Gargoylle

cool, sounds like a sweet set up.

I hope some else reply's also, cuz im not a 100% sure, but i think 2 disks on raid0 boils down to 2 disks on raid0, no way around it.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
tcl said:
I am new to this raid thing (actually, my raid hardware is only on its way) and have a basic question.

I know i can do this with the software raid in w2k but can the following be done with integated highpoint controllers:

Over two 40GB disks have one 60GB raid0 stripe and with the remainng space on each harddrive have have a 10GB non-raid partition for a total of three logical drives? This would be to make some temporary back-up space, the idea being that the two 10gb partitions would contain redundant information which would be a backup of data in the raid partition. I am asuing that if one disk did fail, that even though the raid would be broken the non-raid (backup) partition would be accesible. Is this thinking correct?

thanks all!

No this is not possible! You can partition the array as if it were an 80 GIG drive (60, 20) but if a drive fails, your array is toast and there is not a thing you can do about it, except cry. The best solution for you would be to raid0 the 2 40 GIGers and get an 80GIG for backup.