• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hired Goons Rough-Up and FIRE the heads of Infinity Ward

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7...-Studio-Heads-Missing-Staff-Freaked-Out-.html

Personally they can kiss my ***.

Infinity Ward got too big for their briches. Unless you're one of those people that's obsessed with it (and therefore in no position to be objective) Modern Warfare 2 was GARBAGE. And this is coming from a guy who LOVED COD4 (Team Rainless COD4 threads abound...)

I don't like the direction the company was going in. I don't like that they decided to stick up gamers for an extra ten or twenty bucks. I don't like that the next step would've been to start charging a MONTHLY FEE for their game because it's so damned popular that they can... not only charge you an extra ten or twenty dollars just to buy it... but then charge you another ten bucks a month to PLAY it once you own it.

I don't know how much of all this BS was Infinity Ward and how much was Activision's fault but SOMEBODY *needed* to get fired and I'm happy somebody did.

Rainless,

I like your commentary just like anyone else, but your title is a bit misleading. I assume Activision did the firing, and the goons were just flexing their muscles. Unless of course you were going for the Rainless Shock and Awe effect.:p

Rainless,

I like your commentary just like anyone else, but your title is a bit misleading. I assume Activision did the firing, and the goons were just flexing their muscles. Unless of course you were going for the Rainless Shock and Awe effect.:p

Oh come now... Everybody knows HIRED GOONS can't fire anybody! :p

I call publicity stunt or something stupid. Its worth pointing out that IW has yet to be paid royalties for MW2.

As anyone who follows my Twitter is aware, I spent the better part of Monday night (Tuesday morning on the East Coast) calling everyone I knew who was associated with Activision. Most of them didn’t tell me much of anything. To those people, I apologize for continuously bugging you at all hours of the night. However a few people were willing to give me some information on what was going on at Infinity Ward so long as they were anonymous.
First, the backstory: For those of you who aren’t yet aware, Activision locked down the Infinity Ward offices after a meeting with (former) Infinity Ward bosses Jason West and Vince Zampella. When the story first broke nobody had any Earthly clue why Activision would ****can the studio co-founders and lock the Infinity Ward offices down like they were trying to quarantine a zombie outbreak, but after several hours of arm twisting I’ve been able to get a few nuggets of information. Note that this is what I have been told by those close to the situation and in no way is meant to be presented as 100% cold hard fact.
1.) Infinity Ward has yet to be paid a single dime in royalties for Modern Warfare 2, which has earned Activision over one billion dollars in revenue. (NOTE: To clarify, everyone who spoke with me mentioned this. Whether or not IW and Activision had an agreement in place for royalty payments is unknown at this time. It’s just curious that everyone brought this up.)
2.) It’s (fairly) common knowledge that Infinity Ward is not owned by Activision, but is under contract with the publisher. (ED: That was a misunderstanding, on my end, of a statement made to me. I apologize for any confusion.) This Their current contractual obligation expires in October, which could explain why Activision has (allegedly) been looking to dump Modern Warfare 3 off to another developer. The probem with this is that Infinity Ward still technically owns the rights to the Call of Duty franchise (at least partially). Some people close to the situation see Activision’s current actions as a power play to try and bully Infinity Ward into either staying with Activision in one capacity or another (buyout or contract extension) or to at least acquire the Call of Duty name.
(ED NOTE: If the above paragraph makes zero sense, I apologize. It was 4am EDT, I was writing short-hand and half of what was being told went way over my head. The short of it: There’s a contract in place regarding Infinity Ward’s principals that expires in October. Basically IW, while technically owned by Activision, is autonomous in the same way Blizzard is. That’s what the “contract” talk is about. Again, sorry for any confusion.)
3.) Theoretically speaking, after Infinity Ward’s contract expires in October the company is free to rehire both West and Zampella.
But the most interesting fact…
4.) SEC paperwork filed by Activision claims that there were “breaches of contract and insubordination by two senior employees at Infinity Ward.” According to a source inside Activision, it is believed that Infinity Ward may have been in discussion with a “rival publisher” about signing a similar publishing agreement that IW currently has with Activision.
When pushed for more specific details, all they would assure me is that it was NOT believed to be Electronic Arts. Whether or not there is any merit to this belief is anyone’s guess.
More information is expected to come out throughout the day as Activision has a lot of explaining to do. We will continue to keep you updated on this increasingly bizarre story, whether news breaks here or elsewhere. Also keep tabs on G4’s Patrick Klepek, who has done a phenomenal job staying on top of the situation.

Original article is here but seems to keep crashing.

I have boycotted Team Rainless and his propoganda machine... hehe!

J/k man, thanks for the link. Glad someone got lopped off! :)

I have boycotted Team Rainless and his propoganda machine... hehe!

J/k man, thanks for the link. Glad someone got lopped off! :)

:beer:

I look at it as another Leno/Coco: THE BAD GUYS LOSE!

Whether Infinity Ward goes down or Activision loses the COD/Modern Warfare franchise... it's win/win.

This will help Bad Company 2 make both of them obsolete anyway... hopefully along with their plans to charge a monthly fee for the next title.

OOh scandles :) While I haven't fallen into the MW or Battlefield traps. Still curious on what will happen or whats going on.

Why blame the devs? The money loving ******** work for activision.. its the publisher that wants subscriptions, tacked on 10 more bucks, DRM and they're probably responsible for the console port too. Publishers have all the power, devs just do as they are told.

heh the insubordination was probably complaining about how the publisher destroyed the franchise and how the devs would have made a much better game if it weren't for activision.

wow with all this cod crap going down internet is laggying. I can hear the cries of all the middle aged casual console gamers lives ending now. lol

They're not.

Hell... They might not be doing ANYTHING now...

I hear TommyHolly and Fudgenuggets are the new I.W. leaders...

Hahahaha thanks but no thanks... Infinity Ward hung up on me the last few times I tried calling them. It's all you Fudge! (Somehow I think Fudge would incorporate Football into any game he develops no matter what it is...LOL)

After the shafting the gave PC gamers and the sub par product they released, I dont mind one way or the other. Long live Bad Company 2!

fourzerotwo I should also say, while I appreciate all the calls, tweets, messages and hearing my ringtone a lot. They're in vain - as I have no info.
11:49 PM Mar 1st via web
Reply Retweet

He hasn't tweeted for three days.... for a guy that's constantly on the "bird" that says a lot. There's some major shake up's going on.

Back