• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hissing PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lisa_qld

hey guys,

Quick question... my PSU is making a hissing noise just as it loads windows xp, it lasts for about 5+ seconds and doesn't return until i reboot.. my ASUS DVD combo drive just died and i am guessing since it hardly got used would it be related to my PSU ?

Should i expect a loud pop shortly ?? or is this common and something i shouldn't worry about.

Thanks for any help

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
What power supply might this be, specifically?

Welcome to the forums :)

antipesto93

i have heard a hissing sound from my psu when its under stress, if its not just stress, tehn it could be a capacitor about to go.

jmdixon85

I also hear a hissing noise come from my main rig (in sig) when my system is under load. I don't know where it's coming but my system is fine. As it happens when I prime I'm thinking it could be the CPU VRM's? I don't think your drive failing is related to your PSU. I had two DVD wrighters in my system, a pioneer and a samsung. The pioneer was always my drive of choice and the Samsung was hardly used, didn't stop it from failing in under 3 month tho. Pioneer is still going strong.

Gabkicks

i am having a hissing PSU, or somethign on my pc is Hissing when i run Crysis w/ vsynch off. if i turn vsynch on, i get no hissing.... actually for me, it is a squeel that changes tone/pitch depending on what is going on onscreen.

jmdixon85

It is your GPU squeeling when it is under heavy load. When I was running 2x 8800GT's one of them used to do it and then it just seemed to go away after a while. I think some people have used nail varnish to stop the squeeling. I am not sure sure what part of the card you put it on. The word "coil" springs to mind. I've never done it myself but I know someone will post here soon that knows what I'm talking about. As far as I know it is quite common in GPU's and it will cause any harm to your card.

I think these are what make the squealing noise (notice the coil in the middle of the pic)

evga_7600gs_512_silence.jpg

The card pictured is a 7600GS so it's obviously going to be different but I expect your card will have a few of these "Squealing buggers" :)
http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/493/evga_7600gs_512_silence.jpg

Last edited:

Wraith

I had a PSU that did the same thing, although I would describe it as a high pitched squealing for me. It started one day and didnt go away, it drove my mad. I must have been a frequency that I was very sensitive to because other people couldnt hear it or it didnt bother them. It bothered my enough to go buy another PSU so I wouldnt have to hear it!

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
i am having a hissing PSU, or somethign on my pc is Hissing when i run Crysis w/ vsynch off. if i turn vsynch on, i get no hissing.... actually for me, it is a squeel that changes tone/pitch depending on what is going on onscreen.

that's going to be your GPU. when you turn Vsync on, it keep the FPS from going above the refresh, so your card isn't working at 100% all the time. Mine does that too. Nothing wrong with that :)

I had a PSU that did the same thing, although I would describe it as a high pitched squealing for me. It started one day and didnt go away, it drove my mad. I must have been a frequency that I was very sensitive to because other people couldnt hear it or it didnt bother them. It bothered my enough to go buy another PSU so I wouldnt have to hear it!

Sounds like me and CRT tvs. I can't watch them. Not because they look like crap (even though most do) but because i can hear the tube :(

Conumdrum

It's a coil oscillating at some harmonic frequency. If it really bothers you RMA the card. They aren't supposed to do that. It won't affect operation, but it's bothersome.

TaCoSwInDeZ

Eh, my GTX260 sings to me also when I play Crysis or any other graphics intensive game, kinda funny actually heh. And Computamer, im just like you, I have always been able to hear the CRT tubes squeal so usually know when im getting close to one.

burebista

My GTX260 sings only in ATITool with that hairy cube. :D
Everything else is quiet (Furmark, OCCT, games, whatever).