• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hmm, new albatron geforce 4mx480.... any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stenchhunt

ok I know you guys don't think much of the geforce 4mx cards, jst seen this

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/home/index.html?PX_Session=29b41e748aa63d4bbbe8d0f8b143b3ef

and wondered what people thought, as I am going to buy a new card in the next month or so and can't go over £90

its a toss up between this and a Radeon 9000 pro

only play cs and do dvd encoding etc so not bothered about max eye candy, plus I have a tft that does 1024x768 max anyway

views please and any other card I should possiby consider, I am in the UK so no US stores or websites please (lucky sods over the "pond")

OP
S

stenchhunt

true, it does run everything I have at the mo, and now I have an xbox not sure I will be using it for intensive games (runs ut2k3 ok)

just fancied something a bit better (ti4200 would be ideal but finances dictate)

Jawsome

keep your gts till you can afford a 4200. Theres not alot that you can get that will be as cheap as you'd like and offer a whole lot greater performance on a p4 1.7. Just wait till you have funds.

OP
S

stenchhunt

just shown the missus and trying to get her to let me spend the extra £20 for a 4200!!!

if it was down to me I would buy a 9700 :) (got plenty of cash just a tight missus lol)

quegyboe

The Radeon 9000 is a much better card than the GF4 MX. The Radeon 9000 supports full DX 8.1, pixel shaders and all that, where as the GF4 MX only supports DX 7. I would get the Radeon over the GF4 MX anyday!

james.miller

quegyboe said:
The Radeon 9000 is a much better card than the GF4 MX. The Radeon 9000 supports full DX 8.1, pixel shaders and all that, where as the GF4 MX only supports DX 7. I would get the Radeon over the GF4 MX anyday!

not many games that use that technology though, is there?

Lancelot

If you don't need AGP 8x and do want a GF4-MX you should get the MX460 cuz it has a 300Mhz core clock and 550Mhz mem clock against 270/512 for the MX480. Look at my siggy for my easy OC on a 89Mhz AGP bus!