• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hmm... questions about my network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
okay, currently my network consists of a router which goes to a total of 4 computers and the router shares the internet connection. after upgrading everything, i want to make part of my network wireless. i was thinking that i would be able to plug a wap into one of the router ports and then the wap would assign ip addresses to those computers on the wireless network. my question would be is it possible to share an internet connection provided by the router on the wap with multiple computers connected wirelessly to the wap?

sorry if this is confusing, but if you need, i will draw it out better for you...

i just didn't know if it would be easier to just buy a wap/router combo or something because the wap i am looking at now is a single port 802.11g (54 mbps) linksys wap

DDR-PIII

Disabled
Yeah that will work :) you just plug the routers Uplink port in the the WAP's uplink port and whatever is connected to the WAP will have an IP assigned to it from the Router :) and they'll all have internet :)

OP
mbentley

mbentley

DDR-PIII said:
Yeah that will work :) you just plug the routers Uplink port in the the WAP's uplink port and whatever is connected to the WAP will have an IP assigned to it from the Router :) and they'll all have internet :)

oh so the router will assign ip addresses to the computers on the wireless network? nifty :) so basically it's like adding ports to the router then...

Mark620

YES it works that way no problem, heck, I do this and I have helped others do it. BTW I/we have found that the Linksys transmits better than some of the others.

One guy had a BEFSR41 at one end of the house then wanted to transmit to an out building(his home office) he tried some other brands and even with a "repeater" at the other end of the house the linksys was the only one able to make the distance.

Cablemodem-befsr41-wap11-several walls-wap11-outside wall-100 to 150ft-building wall-reciever.

I had always figured most of the transmitters to be equal but they are not...

Edit:
Myself I would have only used one wap11 but he did not want to run the network cable through the house.

Last edited:

Mark620

mbentley said:

oh so the router will assign ip addresses to the computers on the wireless network? nifty :) so basically it's like adding ports to the router then...

Don't forget one befsr41 handles up to 254 connections...

orion25

Folding in memory of my dads, Tim B. & Mike B.
JACK!!

Thread Jack Here!!!

mbentley, that is a lovely woman in your avatar!

orion25

Folding in memory of my dads, Tim B. & Mike B.
Re: Re: JACK!!

mbentley said:

thanks! and believe it or not, she's all mine :D :D :D

You are a lucky man! How many drinks did you have to feed her on the first date? Just Kidding in case you could not tell!!

How long have you been together? I just got engaged to my girlfriend of 7 years and I am the happiest I have ever been!

OP
mbentley

mbentley

we've been together a little over a year and a half. we started dating in high school and made it thru my freshman year of college when nobody thought it'd work :D