• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hold on the folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
Hi Guys I have decided to take most of my systems off line for a while.I guess the reason is the massive influx of Google folders which causes server overloads in my opinion.

This sorta sucks because I feel stanford did not plan for the influx of folders gained at google,and because of this many people are now having connection issues.

SO I will wait and see if they make additions to there servers or the Waves of google folders steady out so the current servers are more able to handle the load..........

Looks like top 30 will have to wait !~!~!

Edward2

I am definitely sorry to hear that you are stopping for a while. I don't imagine there is anything we can say that will convince you to stick with it is there? Such as the fact that we are finally out producing OCAU and starting to make a move. I think we all are experiencing the growing pains that Stanford is currently going through. I know that my own production has taken a hit due to the connection problems, etc. I can only hope that Stanford will take the steps necessary to keep up with the growth of the project. We will definitely miss you and hope that you can return shortly.

overdoze

after waiting for a few hours. I got tinkers core instead of gromacs. I guess the gromacs servers are overloaded.

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
hey man sorry to hear about the break but i know how frustrating it can be with the connecting.

Google is supposed to helping stanford with new servers, but i haven't seen anything new on that , hopefully lots will start showing up soon becuase overloaded is an understatement :D:eek:

Hope you come back soon and fold harder than ever!

FOLD ON
NAS

muddocktor

Retired
I'll tell you what I find especially frustrating. There are presently 4 servers on the server stats page showing an activity of 1000 or over, showing that these servers are sitting around doing nothing. Why can't they distribute these WU's on the overloaded servers to 2 servers instead of 1, to relieve the total load on the individual server? I find that Stanford didn't think ahead, as usual, on the potential server problems when they let google mass-deploy.:mad: Those folks might be extremely intelligent people but don't seem to know how to plan their business with the servers too well.:confused: Plus, the darn stats servers at Stanford are FUBAR again.:rolleyes:

Gnerma

Great now 4 of us have to add an XP to offset your downtime diehrd :)

I have 5 rigs right now and am not having any problems, I'm running 4 of my rigs /w -advmethods & when they don't grab a fat pAla7-2 they go off and grab a p18x. I find it odd that you've just been unable to get WUs, it must be something on your end or something between you & stanford *shrug*

I remember when the SETI team started talking about joining folding while SETI was down I posted a thread @ folding-community about server readiness and Vijay said something like "we'll be ready, the servers cound handle 10x what they are handling now." Yeah, maybe if they were using them all.. :rolleyes:

Have you guys noticed that whenever any group has this kind of situation they always mess it up? Like when a new online game come out, pings are horrible, connections are difficult etc etc.. dealing with this kind of situation must be very difficult if NOBODY gets it right..

Rich99million started a thread @ folding-community about this, mud has already sounded off, check it out.

http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=1997

doer

diehrd, if u don't want idling rigs, u might want to try adding many console clients / rig. That way when servers are functional, the clients would queue many WUs... completing WU time would rise and it would take more time when they needed to contact servers again... and so on I guess u get the idea.

RoadWarrior

Mmmmm'kay, call me dense but I really don't "get" why it's too much trouble to leave your rigs folding, you told me you're not on diallup, so what's wrong with just letting them get what they can get when they can get it and not stressing about it?

I mean, if you think this is an opportune moment to take your rigs down for maintenance and tweaking, fair enough, but whadaya tryna do otherwise?

Another point worth mentioning is that if you take your rigs off, well, if many people take thier rigs off, there is a proportion of the collective guilt here, then stanford might not fix up thier servers enough to handle the current load and their fickle fairweather friends who'll decide to come back when things look easier. So you'll be skewing the figures they'll be looking at to decide how much more horsepower they need backend.

Hmmm, that looks kinda harsh in plain black and white words, I mean it more as a few words to consider rather than a hardass chewing out though :)

regards,

Road Warrior

Gnerma

You know I was wondering... do the [email protected] servers fold while there not serving/accepting units?
doubting.gif

skou

G, they probably don't have time to breathe.

I think Vijay carries around a fire extinguisher to put out burning servers.

steve

OP
diehrd

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
In all honesty guys I am a product of the gotta have it now generation..I just can not sit and see these 3.2 plus gigs of power attempting to get work 27/7 .....So I will down time the system and clean her up ..Ya know de dust it ,Wash my heat sinks and such..

And I do wish it was my END causing this problem because then I could fix it.But I have done everything I can at my end and actually got a WU or 2 in the last 6 days so I know I am set uo properly and it is the servers that are the issue.

overdoze

FYI: i have the same problem too. Usually, I have 2 folding jobs for a one cpu machine. If there is problem with one. I still can fold on the other. I have 3 folding jobs on a dual machine.