• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Holes in my #rotor base :'<

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onlypro

New years day I decided it was time to begin making my first #rotor waterblock.

My base is 8mm copper, the cover is 4mm copper. The holes were 5/32".

After drilling many holes, and breaking a couple bits, I checked the base of my block and noticed I had f'd it up pretty bad.

The bit must have slid down the shank of my milling machine...

I have 5 tiny .5mm holes through my base, none are directly over the AMD core area.

I put alot of work into this block, it was my first time using a milling machine. Is it worth fixing, how should I go about fixing it?

Other than that problem... the rest was a piece of cake.

Last edited:

AndrusLRoc

I dunno if I would trust jbweld or a good epoxy on the base of a #rotor style block, but that's just me. I would probably make a new base.:-/ You could always try the jbweld or some epoxy and see if it leaks.

Graystar

Using a milling machine is not easy. It takes knowledge, skill, and practice. I say use this block for practice. Finish making it while adjusting your technique to get rid of the errors you notice. Then use that knowledge and skill on another piece of copper.

If this is your first time on a mill you're probably going to make other mistakes...might as well find and fix them all, then give it another go.

AndrusLRoc

Doesn't #Rotor use a drill press and a dremel tool to make his pinfin style blocks? I've made 4 #rotor blocks and I've used my drill press and dremel and have had no problems... but then again, I can't afford a mill right now either. :D

OP
Onlypro

Onlypro

I patched the holes up with silver solder and re-drilled them. I can hardly see the holes.

So I was very happy with the block until I drilled 4 holes for my alan bolts... I broke the 1/4" tap in one of the holes

:p fun!

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
yep, lap the block flat, then set it on some aluminum and heat/solder. The solder won't stick to the aluminum, leaving a nice patch. Then you can redrill to the proper depth.

Even patched, I'd still use it as long as the patches weren't over the core...