• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

holy smokes look what i got!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaneda

my dad is the best!!!!!! he was on a construction job site, surveying and they were going to throw this big monster out

1500.jpg

pentium 166! (LOL) but im going to upgrade it to DUAL P Pro 200mhz chips
it only has 1 166 running at the moment, but its awesome, tape backup, swappable scsi drives.

Compaq Proliant 1500.

just thought i would share!
and dont worry it will be folding soon.:D :D :D

Nice score!

Actually....that case looks pretty moddable. If you're handy with a dremel or tin snips, I'd look into the possibility of mounting an ATX format board and PSU in that, an go for some dual P II or P///'s. Old intel dual slot 1 boards are getting cheaper and cheaper, and so are the CPU's to run on them....;)

Have fun with it, either way.... :beer:

B.

heh, my dad is going to go back to the job site and see if they have anything else worth grabbing before its dumped in the garbage.

and yes its super moddable, alot of things could be done to it.

I love scores like that. Free computers are the best.
From the looks of it, you wouldn't even need to modify the case to go ATX. It looks like the back plate will come right out. You might have a tough time finding an ATX plate that will fit in there, but you don't really have to have one in place.

I'm working at one of Penn State's computer labs, and we always take things to salvage. It's a sad sight seeing 8-10 pentium 133/166's get dumped out in a yard while it rains. (They're not allowed to give things away, even if they are just scrapping it)

thanks for the link roger

krm197, drastic times call for drastic things, steal them! muahahaha. its not like its really theft, more like looting through trash!

krm197 said:
I'm working at one of Penn State's computer labs, and we always take things to salvage. It's a sad sight seeing 8-10 pentium 133/166's get dumped out in a yard while it rains. (They're not allowed to give things away, even if they are just scrapping it)

that sucks man :( they should atleast donate them to some schools so kids can use the systems

My company is the same way.. They actually send a guy out to destroy our used computers with a hammer/pick (the small handheld deal).. Then tells me to throw it away.. One day, I made the mistake of saying (can I have the power supply? He took the pick end through the exasust fan and pieces fell out (caps, chunks of PCB) and said, "sure, all yours now.."

He enjoys his job all too much..

It's funny tho.. If it is a good piece of equipment, he says.. "I'll take this and destroy it, I'm running late..."

Wonder how he felt when he "took" a perfectly good 10 gig HD to "destroy" and found out I took the platters out of the drive.. :) (hope he doesn't read these forums......)

palee72 said:
My company is the same way.. They actually send a guy out to destroy our used computers with a hammer/pick (the small handheld deal).. Then tells me to throw it away.. One day, I made the mistake of saying (can I have the power supply? He took the pick end through the exasust fan and pieces fell out (caps, chunks of PCB) and said, "sure, all yours now.."

He enjoys his job all too much..

It's funny tho.. If it is a good piece of equipment, he says.. "I'll take this and destroy it, I'm running late..."

Wonder how he felt when he "took" a perfectly good 10 gig HD to "destroy" and found out I took the platters out of the drive.. :) (hope he doesn't read these forums......)

What an *** geesh I hate those people :rolleyes:

Nice find, I got 2 Dual Pentium Pros 200 from my uncles bussness and the was going to get rid of them too :eek:

I also nabed a 866 pIII that thay were going to use just for office work so I told him and he said to just make him a computer that works and I can have the 866, So there happy with a 475 K6-2 that works fine and I am happy with a pIII that does +200Mhz with stock volts :eek: to bad my mobo Maxes at 166 or I would have it soooo much Higher than that :(

I never get that lucky, nice find :).My only find was a couple 486s in someones garbage can. I was only able to salvage the hds and some keychains hehe.

krm197 said:
Garbage is legally considered public domain. As soon as they throw it out you can take it.

I worked at for my university for a few years while in school and we couldn't take any scrapped parts because they were still university/govt. property even after not being used and had to be stored for a certain amount of time then eventually destroyed. Salvage and garbage is 2 different things. The salvage yard was fenced and locked. I once watched 6 pool tables rot in the rain just b/c they needed to be recovered.

Back