• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Homemade cooling ideas

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeff_harrison_344

I am desperate, anyone have any good cooling ideas that can be dont with **** laying around the house, pics wouls be nice.

I got a 2 suggestions
1) I don't know what kind of HS you 've got I got a aluminum HS and I installed a coldplate between my CPU and my HS and the temp under load dropped 5C (I have a Fop32)
2) ground your HS I know it sounds silly but it worked for me I used a little copper wire and attached it from my HS to my case, it didn't drop my temp but it did drop my Vcore 0.10 Volts and that is much (longer lifespan for CPU) Grounding your HS

thats interesting that you realised a 5C drop in temp with a copper shim aka "cold plate" did you install the new hsf at the same time and pehaps use some new thermal compound?? ;D

jeff_harrison_344 (Feb 13, 2001 08:17 p.m.):
I am desperate, anyone have any good cooling ideas that can be dont with **** laying around the house, pics wouls be nice.

jeff

when i was looking for a few extra degree`s of cooling i pull the side of my case off and pointed a small table fan at a 45 degree angle this droped my temp quite a bit ;D

Here is something I just did cause' I am bored waiting for my cC0 Cele 633 to get here. I dont know if it will make any difference in temp, but the HS has fins right above the cpu core right where the hub of the fan usually is. This way I think that the center fins will get more airflow. I dunno, but like I said I was bored.
When my cele arrives I will test it in the origional config and in the modded form. Well see...
This was a generic HSF that I had laying around and a cooler master 60mm fan. All cheapy stuff...

and YES those are zip-ties holding the fan there, it is just temporary, and CHEAP!

Kahless (Feb 23, 2001 06:04 p.m.):
I got a 2 suggestions
1) I don't know what kind of HS you 've got I got a aluminum HS and I installed a coldplate between my CPU and my HS and the temp under load dropped 5C (I have a Fop32)

I did the same thing, but it only bought me a 2 deg C
improvement. Still an easy/cheap/passive improvement on my FOP32. -Hoot-

2) ground your HS I know it sounds silly but it worked for me I used a little copper wire and attached it from my HS to my case, it didn't drop my temp but it did drop my Vcore 0.10 Volts and that is much (longer lifespan for CPU)

This. I'm gonna try in a few minutes. Didnt realize that the material the core was comprised of was conductive or should I say semiconductive :) -Hoot-

Joli tricot (nice knits)

I know I may sound knit picking here but, but I do think that we can lower the Vcore more easily via jumpers or BIOS. (and, since we're suppose to aim at overclocking, isn't lowering the Vcore supposed to lower the stability) And I though that we were actually trying to cool our CPU from theheat generated by higher vcore and frequencies...

I may be wrong here...

Home made cooling

If you live in a cold country, and your not afraid tinkering with your case. Look at outdoor aircooling solutions. It real cheap, and can be quite efficient...
There's already some post about this in the furum. under the banner of Dirt cheao Supercooling, from MsNath

Back