• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hooking an Air conditioner to your computer very effective?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morphoius

All the new heat sinks and fans seem to be getting incredibly low C/W scores, but all that heat is just added onto the ambient temperature. I saw an add a couple days ago for a small air conditioner for $100 and thought that if i hooked it to channle the air through my case that it would lower my temps quite a bit. Is this practical? Has anyone done it?

Not practical but very fun to try. I would love to see my college buddies faces when they see an ac unit on the side of my case. I think water cooling is still much more practical and efficient. Let us know how the ac unit/computer project goes.

The Benzine Ring (Jul 16, 2001 12:03 a.m.):
I had thought about using a small frig unit to cool a radiator and use the standard copper water jacket on the CPU.

I was thinking of something along the same line as you. You could even have pop in the fridge along with your radiator. I wonder how fast the fridge would heat up with 100+ watts of heat running though it. Just remember to use some antifreeze or other liquids that don't freeze.

I see what your saying, but to be effective I believe that you would have to a pretty powerful unit. Not one of those college dorm units. Has anyone worked with Copper tubing instead of PVC tubing? Seens like it would be more resistant to internal damage.

Back