• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hooking case fans up in cooler master case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

olddude

Registered
Noob here :)
I can't figure out how to hookup my case fans to the motherboard and the psu.

Case: Coller Master Centurion 5

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready

The case has two fans with a male and female 4 pin connector on each.
The mother board has a small 3 pin system fan male connector on the board.
The PSU gave me a cable setup that hooks to the psu and has two female 4 pin adapters that fit the fan 4 pin male adapterson the fans.

The problem is this PSU cable has another connector on it that I assume is to hook to the mother board system fan connection..... BUT that connector is a small 4 pin female connector that doesn't fit the male 3 pin mother board connector.

I'm stumped! :shrug:

Any help is appreciated.

the female small 4 pin from the psu can go onto the male 3pin connector on the motherboard, not all motherboards have support for the fourth pin, but the connector should still go on

the big 4 pins from the fans just go into the psu big 4 pins, the fans have male and female connectors so that can be connected all in series

Ah I thought maybe that was so, but.... the pin set on the mother board is right up against another pin set and there is no room for the bigger 4 pin socket. It just won't fit. :cry:

the female small 4 pin from the psu can go onto the male 3pin connector on the motherboard, not all motherboards have support for the fourth pin, but the connector should still go on

the big 4 pins from the fans just go into the psu big 4 pins, the fans have male and female connectors so that can be connected all in series

I can't just slide the 4 pin plug over the three pin connector on the board. But assuming you are right that the 4 pin would work on the 3 pin motherboard connection because the fourth wire isn't needed I was thinking maybe there is an easy way to fix this.

I have access to a 3 pin fan controller connection from an old fan. Could I splice that connector to the three wires needed for the mother board pins?

One of my concers is that the 4 wire connector has a red wire on the left and then two black wires and then a yellow wire on the right (using the slot on the plug to match the tab on the mother board as a reference.) Thus the slot on the 4 pin forces the red wire on the left as the wire not needed (leaving two blacks and a yellow for the three pin). That leaves me a little worried as the three wires going to the fan are red black and yellow.

Back