• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hoping to get an amd athlon 1800+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stool

Welcome to the forums.
Check out the AMD mobo section, and you'll find lots of good ideas.

OP
J

Jiggydrag

Registered
oh yeah duh.. thx for reminding me. any way i can get this subject moved over? i'd greatly appreciate it.

OP
J

Jiggydrag

Registered
ywah i ws just looking at prices last night and i decided i'll shell out the extra 10 bucks and get a 1900 instead so i guess this post is kinda uselass now.. but thx for all your input.

Now to go post on the proper forums :)

beau_safken

I dont know...The 1600+ is still the best overclocking CPU out there. Get an Epox 8k3a and a 1600+, set the FSB to 166 and your running a 2100+ speed but faster due to the higher FSB...Just an idea

Tipycol

beau_safken said:
I dont know...The 1600+ is still the best overclocking CPU out there. Get an Epox 8k3a and a 1600+, set the FSB to 166 and your running a 2100+ speed but faster due to the higher FSB...Just an idea

I also think you should get a 1600+. It will OC a lot better than a 1900+, and as beau_safken said, you will notice a much larger performance difference from overclocking a 1600+ compared to a 1900+.

OP
J

Jiggydrag

Registered
ok maybe i'll do that.. the only thing is i have no OCing experience at all so i was thinkin that i might try overclocking my existing cpu that i have right now.. since its old and i'll have a new on and i won't have to worry about it burning up and what not. so i'll research OCing some more.

BTW its a AMD something. i got it a couple years ago i geuss maybe a year ago. anyways its only 850 so its not too fast but its something to practice on :).

Also i want to try water cooling. Where would i go about getting a good Watercooling kit? I saw a Koolance case that came with the kit except for the pice that goes on the cpu and the piece that goes on the HD. (You can tell i'm a newb from my knowledge of the lingo :)) anyways just thought i'd look into that as well

Off to do my research. Thx Guys!

beau_safken

Also i want to try water cooling. Where would i go about getting a good Watercooling kit?

Hmmm...IF you have no OC'ing experience I would suggest going air first. I wouldn't worry a bit if you go with my suggestion. Depending on the stepping your 1600+ is and if your components are good, OC'ing with the 8k3a is hella easy. Check this list out for stuff you'll need.
1) 1600+ XP AMD CPU
2) 8k3a/8k3a+ depending if you need RAID
3) 400 Watt Power Supply Unit at least, OC'ing needs a little more power.
4) Artic Silver 3 <--Thermal Compound...GREASE NOT EPOXY
5) Thermalright AX-7 or SLK-800 depending on budget

For more info on how to install heatsinks and such check out my articles on the homepage

Hope this helps